Code5OnYou is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Repeating Function

I apologize if this has been answered as I searched through the threads and did not see this specific issue.

I have an input form for tracking personnel assigned to service calls. The input for the personnel is a drop down selection list. Right now I have 6 separate, but identical, fields to select up to 6 personnel. I though that would be enough but it is not. Plus it makes my form look cluttered with 6 selections when I only have 2 personnel to track for a service call, leaving me with 4 blank fields in my form.

Does Access 2010 have a function where I can create a button called "Add Personnel" so that I can have 2 personnel drop downs on the input form, but should I end up with 7 personnel, I can just click the button to add additional drop downs containing the same personnel data.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    This is not a direct answer to your question, but I think your design is incorrect. If you have 6 fields for personnel in your table, it is not normalized. The normalized design would be a second table, related one-to-many to the existing table by your service call ID. If 2 people went on a call, there would be 2 records in that table (you'd have fields for the service call ID and a personnel ID). If 7 went, 7 records. That makes your database much more dynamic; you can handle 1 person going or 100. The standard way of presenting the two tables would be a form based on the service call table and a subform based on this new table, with master/child links keeping them in sync with each other.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

pbaldy - Thank you for the reply... I am a true novice to Access and some of what you read makes sense to me, but some of it loses me..

What do you mean by "normalized"? And I have it set up with 6 tables titled "Personnel_1. Personnel_2", etc... Each of those tables is in the "master record form" table. And I draw the names of my personnel for my drop downs from an outside table called "Personnel"..

I apologize for my ignorance, but I think if you explain that, I will better understand the rest of your reply...

TY

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    6 tables is also an issue (any time you have tables or fields with a number in them, like Personnel_1, you've likely got a problem). Normalization is a key concept in database design. Start here:

http://www.r937.com/Relational.html

I have to run out for a bit, but if that doesn't help either post your db or a description of what you're trying to accomplish, and one of us here will try to suggest a design.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

I will check that out and get back to you... Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.