robsworld78 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Compact & Repair, Will I Run Into Problems?

Hi, I have a few questions about compact and repair. Many years ago I made a db for fuel mileage and it worked great for about a year and then errors starting showing up out of the blue which made it almost unusable. Now that I know more I believe it happened because it was never once compacted and repaired, I had no idea about that feature and how important it was.

Now I've made a fairly complex db and I have to make sure this doesn't happen to this one.

When I started this db I didn't know about compact and repair however when I first started in the options I set the compact and repair on close and I'm very happy at this point I did that so it was always cleaned up as I built. Now I know the importance and hope I didn't mess up which lead to my questions.

The db is split, I have 3 different front ends with no tables and 6 backend files with only tables. Some of the backend files are linked together and most are linked to each frontend.

1. Do the frontends need compact and repair? They hold no data, just forms, reports and queries. I don't think its needed for frontends without tables but I want to be sure I have it right in my head. I'll leave the compact and repair on close turned on and the db is closed every night so I'm not worried about them.
    2. The backends are never opened on the server, do I need to manually open each backend and close it to compact and repair? This is what worries me.
    3. If so can it be automated? A button in the frontend that opens each backend file and closes it so the compact runs?
    4. Was it a good or bad idea to have 6 backend files? I think its pretty easy it make them all one if its better.

Thanks

robsworld78 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If I used the following code on one button for each backend file would it do its thing with the files closed?

Code:
    Application.CompactRepair SourceFile, DestinationFile [, LogFile]

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.