Mark_435 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Linking tables to show primary key from main table

Hi, I’m a database novice. I’m doing a survey on fishermen, the gear they use and their opinons about how things have changed over time. I’ve set up a main table with a primary key auto number per fisherman. I want that ID number to automatically come up in the subsequent tables about their vessels, opinons and gear. I’ve had a look at the forum and I’m sure there must be something in there, I just haven’t found it yet!

I’ve linked the ID number in a “one to many” relationship (one to one would also work? ie. Only one address per fisherman) from the main table to the rest of them. My plan was that as I entered the data in the subsequent tables the fisherman ID number would be there automatically.
    Thanks,
    Mark

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Build forms that have a form/subform arrangement. This is basic Access functionality. Search Access Help on creating forms and subforms.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks, I wasn't very clear. I had already done them in forms and subforms and couldn't get the ID number to automatically come up in the subforms. I set the relationships as a one to many, perhaps I should have done a one to one?
    I'm going to try putting in a default value in the relevant subform to the main form and ID number I wish to use and see how that goes.
    Cheers,

Mark

June7 is offline VIP
    Did you set the Master/Child links of the subform container control? This is what will synchronize the related records.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yep, still wouldn't play the game. I've got it sorted now with the default value set for the linked master table. Thanks for the help.

Mark

June7 is offline VIP
    Then something is wrong with table relationships or textbox is bound to wrong field or something. Record synchronization is purpose of the Master/Child links. I advise determining the cause of failure. If you to provide project for analysis, will look at.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.