neil123williams is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

test box prompt

Using:
    Access 2010
    Windows 7

I have a report that I want the user to enter a date. In my previous versions of Access this was as simple as putting a text box in the header as =[Enter Date mm/dd/yy].

When create a text box as described I and error message get:

"The Microsoft database does not recognize 'Enter Date mm/dd/yy'"

So I tried putting the user input in the query that this report is based off of. Same result when I run the query.

Anyone know what I am forgetting or what is up with Access 2010 and an unbound text box not allowing user prompt fields?

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Provide the query SQL that the report is based on.

I'm not really interested in prompting from the query. More interested in prompting the user when the report is fired off. I have done this in the past by simply putting an unbound text box in the report header that has a control source of =[enter date mm/dd/yy]. I'm using Access 2010. Has something changed that does not allow me to create a text box as described?

I got it to work on v.2010 so there must be something else that is causing this.

If you put the prompt as part of the Record Source then it will only prompt the user when they open the report.

Attached screen shots of what I am doing and seeing.

Thanks again!

Attachment 5827

recon2011 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I think you should have a full colon after date:

=[Enter Date:]

OK, I reproduced this. I don't get the error but I don't get any data either, I'm not sure why. I put the Enter Date into the Record Source and displayed it value in the text box and it worked fine. To me it seems like the end result is the same, but what do I know? Sorry, I'm not being much help!

Quote Originally Posted by recon2011 View Post
    I think you should have a full colon after date:

=[Enter Date:]
    BINGO!!!! Thank You!

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Looked at your post and I don't get it. You are running a report that allows a user to enter a date that is displayed on the report. That's all it does. It displays some arbitrary date that has no relation to your report data whatsoever. Why?????? Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMilhon View Post
    Looked at your post and I don't get it. You are running a report that allows a user to enter a date that is displayed on the report. That's all it does. It displays some arbitrary date that has no relation to your report data whatsoever. Why?????? Makes no sense.
    First, why would this date be arbitrary? Second it makes sense if you understand the process. Here is the process: My user exports a data set in an Excel file for a given date from another system. If that exported file had a date stamp this prompt would be totally unnecessary, but it doesn't... The user picks up that exported file in access. Some parameters are scrubbed out of the data set through queries. My user then opens the report and enters the date they just exported. Still seem arbitrary? What else would you suggest? Can my user enter the wrong date? Sure can... oh well, it's not like they are plugging in coordinates for a nuclear missile....

Quote Originally Posted by neil123williams View Post
    BINGO!!!! Thank You!
    It's funny I tested this in another database simply because I had it open. It worked. However, in this test database removing the colon still works. I go to the actual database I want to put this into the report. Colon has no affect. I don't know what the heck is going on. Both databases are set up the same Why the hell would one database take the text box and allow a prompt and another not? What functional setup of the database would cause this?

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    I apologize If I'm misunderstanding this but I still don't get it. You're importing a file into Access based on a specific date, Running a process and then printing a report. the report prompts for a date. If the prompt is not in the query all it's doing is displaying whatever date is entered on the report. So if the data is run for June 15, 2011 and I Enter August 10, 2011. The report will show August 10, 2011 for data from June 15, 2011. So how is that not arbitrary. Why not include the date as part of the dataset then you don't have to prompt the user and you take away the possibility of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMilhon View Post
    I apologize If I'm misunderstanding this but I still don't get it. You're importing a file into Access based on a specific date, Running a process and then printing a report. the report prompts for a date. If the prompt is not in the query all it's doing is displaying whatever date is entered on the report. So if the data is run for June 15, 2011 and I Enter August 10, 2011. The report will show August 10, 2011 for data from June 15, 2011. So how is that not arbitrary. Why not include the date as part of the dataset then you don't have to prompt the user and you take away the possibility of errors.
    Yeah I don't think you understand.

1.) import data to table, this is not a historical file being built, it's a one shot deal that gets overridden each time

2.) Run report based on query that scrubs data set

What's the difference if the user enters the wrong date from a query input or when the report fires? Still the wrong date.

Even if I create it so that when the import happens a form opens and tells the user to enter a date which writes to my table which is pulled through the query to the report. If they have the wrong date it really doesn't matter where they are prompting or entering it. Does it? Nope, a wrong date is a wrong date.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Ok, I finally get what you're doing. Thanks for your patience in explaining it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.