edl5 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Question edit control source in VBA error "The Text Is Too Long to Be Edited"

Hi,
    I am new to MS Access, I have only elementary knowledge. I have downloaded a template from Microsoft about inventory:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...i:TC010206882|

I would like to use this, however for some reasons beyond my knowledge I cannot change the number of characters in for item box.
    It is text, which means in theory I could type an item up to 255 characters, however I cannot type more than 50.

As soon as I type something longer or paste I get the error msg "The Text Is Too Long to Be Edited"

I cannot wrap my head around this due to my limited knowledge of programming in MS Access.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Possibly the field's Size property has been set to limit of 50 characters. This would have to be modified in the table design.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

edl5 is offline Novice
    I have tried that. There is no where mentioned 50. I tried to increase the size of the field, it is not affecting that magic number of 50 characters. So it has nothing to do to have wider filed, somehow, somewhere is specified the number of characters. I spent more than 3 hrs last night with no results.

I think it has to do with something with the programming code.

Funny I tried to input more than 50 characters, and none of the fields will accept, other than comment field.

I tried to copy comment field to item field, but Item field is required on the table, so the system requires it.

thanks

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    If you look at the table design in the bottom half of the screen it shows the size for each field. Look there.

June7 is offline VIP
    How did you try to increase size of field? Did you open table in design view, select field, and set the Size property for that field? This is the only cause and solution I can imagine.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

edl5 is offline Novice
    @June7, yes I went on design view in MS Access 2007, and I changed by dragging I increase the size of the field. It did increased the size of the field, however, again won't let me enter more than 50 characters. Strange.

edl5 is offline Novice
    I am not sure I followed your instructions. I right clicked on the table, selected design view, and there is nothing like that. By clicking at the field, at properties I see it is text, which means 255 characters, I don't know who the heck is controlling this field to 50 characters.
    One thing that I don't understand at properties, under data tab, besides input mask, validation rule, Validation text, there is a box which says "Control Source", where is a drop down arrow and three dots button.
    With drop down button, I can change the control source to item, desc. category etc.
    If I click to three dots button send me to expression builder.

Did I mentioned that this database has VBA in it?

edl5 is offline Novice
    hi again,
    I sort out fixed this issue, at least for now.
    I deleted that field, I copied description field and for now it is working.
    Thanks for being here, that helps.

edl5 is offline Novice
    back again, It is not a good solution, since whatever I write in description field, shows at item and vice versa, so by coping the the field has the carries the same inforamation regardless where I write.

edl5 is offline Novice
    Some more information. As I mentioned previously this "control source" field/property must play an important role. I don't know how to access it and change it.

"Control Source", where is a drop down arrow and three dots button.
    With drop down button, I can change the control source to item, desc. category etc.
    If I click to three dots button send me to expression builder.

By changing the item field, control source, from item to desc. i can enter more than characters, however, as I mentioned the desc field and item contain the same text.

So this is very important information.

June7 is offline VIP
    I downloaded a project from that link you posted but must not be the same one because there is no VBA code in it.

You appear not to be doing what we instructed. Sounds like you copied a textbox on a form and both textboxes are set to the same ControlSource. ControlSource is a property of a data entry controls on a form. Each control should have a different ControlSource. The ControlSource is a direct connection to the table field. Whatever you enter into the control goes straight into the table.

We are telling you to go open the table in design view. The table will have two sections. The upper design grid and the lower properties. Select each field and you will see its properties at the bottom. There are two tabs in the properties section - General and Lookup. The properties will be different for each field type (number, text, etc). For a text field, the first property on General tab is FieldSize. This is where you define how many characters are allowed in a text field.

edl5 is offline Novice
    June7, I have tried to follow your instructions.
    Here are two screenshots of properties. There is not General Tab, eventhough I get those instructions even from Help in MS Access 2007.
    See screenshots
    http://www.mypicx.com/01112012/MS_Access_2007/

Thanks for your patience.

June7 is offline VIP
    That's because you are looking at properties of form, not table. Why doesn't the Navigation Pane show tables? Click on the Navigation Pane dropdown and select Object Type and All Access Objects. See any tables now?

edl5 is offline Novice
    June7.
    Thanks a lot. I figure out.
    It is amazing how many changes in MS Access that have happened since I learned it in 2000.
    I am posting this so, if someone has the same issue can refer to this.

It was simple, yet impossible for me to figure out without June7's help

http://www.mypicx.com/01112012/MS_Access_2007_2/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.