AmyK is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Possible to have a form that will create multiple records in a table?

Hello,

I am an extremely new to using Access, and have very limited knowledge, so any help is greatly appreciated!

I am trying to create a form that will allow the individuals in our department to enter their time in 30 minute increments, based on specific project numbers that they select (these come from a seperate table). I've set the form up so that the user can select their name from a combo box and and then enter the current date into a text box. Then I would like several combo boxes (10 or so) going down that will allow a user to select a specific project number and seperate boxes tied to each of the combo boxes where they will record the number of hours spent on each project that they selecy.

So if an individual spend 4 hours on project 123, 2 hours on project 456, and 2 hours on project 789, I would like for three seperate records to be created in a table that shows name, date, project, and hours.

I have no idea where to start. The only thing I can figure out is to have a form with only one project box and one hours box, and have the user fill out and clear the form for each individual project. I know there's got to be a way to do it all at once though.

Another thing, I have never used any sort of code in Access, so if that's what I need to do, could you please dumb it down as much as possible? I wouldn't even know where to go to enter the code! Thank you again for any help, I really appreciate it!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I would look into a MainForm/SubForm arrangement with the User and Date on the MainForm and a Continuous SubForm for each of the projects.

AmyK is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    RG - Thanks for the direction. I created a subform that will allow each user to select a specific project from the drop down box and then fill in the hours associated with each project.

My problem is that when I save the form and go to my table I have one record with the name and date and three seperate records with the project and times associated with each. Can you tell me how I might connect the two so that I will only have three records, all containing name, date (these are both included in the main form), project, and time (included in the subform)?

Thanks for your help, and I appologize for my ignorance. I'm an internal auditor, so this is not really my area of expertise!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    The data needs to be in three different tables. One table with People data, one table for Project data, and another table with the Time information. The Time table will have the Time data to which you referred along with an AutoNumber PrimaryKey, a LongInteger as the PersonID ForeignKey (completed by Access as a SubForm LinkField) and another LongInteger as the ProjectID ForeignKey (inserted by your ComboBox that select Projects)..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.