whitey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Access Programming issue i think???

Hi everyone,
    I work at a company that employs approx. 80 people and we have many access databases. One access database which is used everyday to track and monitor our production occasionally becomes corrupt and i have to compact and repair it. Today i got a very strange error and i cannot compact and repair like i usually do. When you double click on the icon, it tells everyone that they don't have permissions for anything. How do you fix this? We are at a standstill in this building until i can figure out how to fix it.
    Thanks,
    Whitey

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    It sounds like the database is used by many people. Is the database split into front (forms, queries, reports etc.) and back (tables only) ends? If not, that could be why it keeps getting corrupted.

Now as to fixing your current database, the only thing I know is to create a new database and then import everything from the old database into the new database. There is no guarantee that this will work, but it is worth a shot. If not, you may have to restore from a backup (hopefully you have a relatively current good backup).

whitey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for your help. I don't believe our database is designed the way you have suggested. It was built a long time ago by someone who isn't here anymore! We just deal with the corruptions as they come, but this issue was different. It looks like it just fixed itself and i was able to get in and compact and repair it, just to be on the safe side. I am so glad i didn't have to create a new database, that would have been time consuming as this database is huge!! Do you have any idea what would have caused this?
    Thanks again!

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I'm glad to hear that you are able to get into the database. Not knowing how your users interact with the database and where the database file is located, it would only be a guess as to what caused the current problem.

As to your occassional corruption issues, if all the users are accessing the same file and that file is on a server then that could be the cause of your corruption issues and I would recommend splitting the database into front and back ends as soon as possible. Here is a link to a site that has more on splitting an Access database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.