RAGEFEAR is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

databasing CDs, sounds easy right?

OK, so I work for this orthopedic office. We have a lot of CDs and film from patients bringing in outside x-rays. What I am trying to do is just build a simple database that can store the information I want.

I have already built a form for entering the information and a table.

There are a few things that I would like to have this thing do, probably quite simple things but I have searched and haven't found what I am looking for.

first off, I don't want entries that have already been made to be edited unless prompted. Some parts of the entry I don't want to be edited at all. Doesn't have to be high security, I just want the field locked after the initial data was input. For it to be easily unlocked with anyone who knows their way around this program, thats fine. I just don't want someone to go in and get click happy without reading a prompt and over write something without a trace. This is definitely the highest priority.

second, I would like to track any edits to existing entries. Not by users, but by what the information used to say versus what it says now, just incase this happens anyway.

third, I would like the forum to start out at the next empty entry, not from the beginning.

fourth, if a patient has multiple CDs or films, if I put in the Medical Record Number, it would be nice if the patient's name and date of birth popped up. Being that this isn't going to be connected to our main database, it would have to be from a previous entry.

just to give an idea of what I am doing. thanks.
    Last edited by RAGEFEAR; 05-28-2009 at 02:35 PM.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You may want to invest in the latest version of Access as there are features in ac2007 such as the Attachment field that you may want to use. You may also want to look at the templates that ship with Access or MS has OnLine to see if something is close to what you need. If you found one, It could then be modified to your exact specifications. Just some thoughts. Nothing you suggested sounds too difficult to achieve.

Windows XP Access 2000
    thanks man, I did figure out a few things that I needed. The issue with upgrading to the newest edition is that we are run by a higher power who's IT team I am already not on the greatest terms with. They don't like how I can get passed most of their restraints. lol.

I didn't think I was looking for anything too off the wall. I am going to take another look thru the templates.

Don't forget to look OnLine. I'm pretty sure MS left everything but ac2007 templates in the ac2000 format for compatability.

Windows XP Access 2000
    I found a template online that seemed to be similar to what I was looking for and have been working off that. I built a prompt from microsoft's website as well. Thanks a lot.

I still am having problems with part of it tho. I will get back at it on Monday.

Great! We'll be around.

Windows XP Access 2000
    OK, I'm lost and frustrated.

Altho my exams are attached to only the patients of which they were taken, I cannot get the exams that are signed out to attach to only their patient's records.

I tried to create exam IDs and correlate them with the signed out records but that doesn't seem to work either. Tho I really don't have much knowledge of what I am trying to do. UGH!

I think most of my problem is that I don't understand how to use relationships (story of my life, lol) and keys.

A Query is a place that virtually stores information without duplicating it, correct? So wouldn't I want a Query for my Patient Info and my Exam info? Somehow take those and get them to correlate with everything.

Patient info:
    LastName
    FirstName
    DOB
    MRN

Exam info:
    Exam
    Date of Exam
    Facility Exam was taken at
    Type of media (CD or film)

Sign Out info:
    Sign out date
    Signed out by
    Where they were signed out to

Also, this just came to me, it would be nice to have on the exam info area a check mark stating if the exam was signed out or not... Could that also be activated by the information in Sign out info being filled in? Or maybe just a check box in the sign out info area that gets duplicated in the exam area? huh...

To start, your Patient table should have an AutoNumber PrimaryKey (PK) field. The Exam table should have a LongInteger field as a ForeignKey (FK) with the value of the PK from the relevant Patient record.

Your Exam table should also have an AutoNumber PrimaryKey field. It could come in handy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.