giorgospsk is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclamation Access 2010 Web database combobox, shows duplicated values

Hello
    . I am working on an Access 2010 WEB-enabled database.
    I have a table that stores dates, names (of the students) and courses (that the particular student missed, because of apscence) i created a query, so i can recall specific dates' apscence. i choose the available dates form a combobox, but the only thing i dont want is the duplicate values in that combobox. for example if, on 12/23 there where 3 students not present, the combobox will show three times 12/23.
    To avoid duplicates i have to use the SELECT DISTINCTand this is what i do. It actually works locally, but when i publish the database on my sharepoint site, it returns the following:
    Access was unable to convert the query for use on the Web because it uses an unsupported query type, unsupported expressions, unsupported criteria, or other features that are not supported on the Web.

can you please advice me?? thank you

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    Post the full query so we can see it - or alternatively use a grouped query for your combo box instead of a select distinct. If you are just working with the dates, grouping should be fine.

well yes,
    I just want the values that show up in the combobox (dates) not to be duplicated. Nothing more.

The combobox value is after being used as a parameter for another query and then, a report.
    I dont want the user who will pick a date from the combobox to see the same date, more than once.

I will try the GROUP BY , but are you sure it works on web databases??? because SELECT DISTINCT finally does not...

It depends on the criteria of your query (which is why I suggested you post an example). If you use group by and your criteria is showing more than just the data that you want visible, you will need to determine what data elements in your query are causing the duplication and then remove the offending elements from the query...

i do not set any criteria in the query, actually. I just create a query, that containt the field "dates" and the results of this query is shawn in the combobox.
    The dates field (in the table) contains many duplicate values. This should not be changed.
    what i do is trying to set the select distinct, or group by, in the comboboxe's properties.
    Should I try to set the criteria on the previous level, which is the query properties???
    If yes, how could i do that????

If you are trying to group it by the individual dates, make sure that you are grouping on only the date portion of the date/time field and not the time portion as well. If you have time included it will contain all the dates for every timed event on that particular date.

Create a query that selects only the date field or date portion of the field in the table, then group it on that field. It should give you distinct values at that point.

in access WEB databases there is no option of date and/or time ... it gives the option to choose just date. am i wrong.??
    also, whenever i try to just test if the distinct function is available in web databases, it says that it is not web compatible. this is why i asked you before if you have practically tested that it works in access web database.
    really thank you for helping me..

Yes, I see what you are saying now. A quick search on this yields that it appears on the web it can only be done in a form... not what you need.

Check this link for more info: http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Tot...-t1950067.html

sorry, i didnt get you...could you explain me further?

mmandel1 is offline Novice
    DISTINCT and GROUP BY do not work on web databases in Access inside of SharePoint.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.