yawalias is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Get parameter prompt

Hi,

I am trying to update a column (SECURITY KEY) in one table based BY REFERENCING two other tabels. I have joined the tables. I keep getting a prompt to enter a security key when I run the update query. Does anyone know why. I am not making progress with this and have not done much with Access in the past few years. Thanks!

UPDATE (CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATIONS INNER JOIN ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL ON CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATION.NAME=ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL.[SURVOPS/ID]) INNER JOIN SECURITY_CHARACTERISTICS ON ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL.CLASSIFICATION=SECURITY_CHARAC TERISTICS.CLASSIFICATION SET ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL.[SECURITY KEY] = CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATIONS.SECURITY_KEY
    WHERE (((ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL![SURVOPS/ID]) LIKE CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATION!NAME) AND ((CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATION!SECURITY_KEY) LIKE SECURITY_CHARACTERISTICS!SECURITY_KEY) AND ((ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL!CLASSIFICATION) IS NOT NULL) AND ((ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL![SECURITY KEY])<>0) AND ((ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL![SURVOPS/ID]) IS NOT NULL) AND ((ARCIVEINVENTORYALL!CLASSIFICATION) IS NOT NULL));

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I think you have a few issues but trying to update a record in a multiple join is another.

Your naming convention, with fields like SURVOPS/ID will come back to haunt you. You should avoid special characters and blanks in field and object names.

This syntax ARCHIVEINVENTORYALL!CLASSIFICATION is for vba recordsets, not SQL.

The LIKE operator LIKE CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATION!NAME is meant for finding things with embedded strings or partial matches. If you mean =, then use equal.

You have inconsistent spelling of the Table CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATIONS and CATMAN_SURVEY_OPERATION.

I think you should show us the relationships between your tables and tell us exactly what it is you are trying to do.

Do you really need all three tables? Do you really want to use a like operator when updating records?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.