Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

combo boxes

I have 5 fields of data.
    category
    description
    task code
    vbuild code
    pay rate

I cannot figure out how to program it to click on the category then the description list pops up for that category only. then the code for the above only, then the next code for that then pay rate.....

i tried combo boxed but it only would to 2 fields. Also, when i put them on my form the date was not being entered?

i want to be able to click one and it filter out all the way to the last one on a form. I want what is chosen (clicked on) to be entered to use for reports etc.

I am new to this degree of creating databases. Can anyone help?

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I think that you are referring to cascading combo boxes if I understand you.

Here is a link on how to achieve that:

http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut10.htm

donnan33 is offline Advanced Beginner
    thank you. I tried that. no good. it only chooses country city in this example. I need (if possible) to have 6 fields. when i click the first field it filters only what is relevant in the next field. but when the 2nd field is clicked i need it to display all rest of columns.

i have a spreadsheet where 4 columns the data is always the same. but i need it to be displayed/entered for every record. the user will only be entering a qty, category and description. i want when they click on description, it will display and enter, the task code, vbuild code, and cost. these will always be same depending on description. i want the task code and vbuild code and cost to always pop the date in there own fields when the relevant description is clicked. they will always be the same so is useless to type in or choose from list every time.
    Attached is a piece of my spread sheet. i hope you can help it's driving me crazy.

Understand. Here is what you need to do.
    Build your first combo box. Then in the afterupdate event you will need to put this type of code for each of the new text boxes you have.

http://www.baldyweb.com/Autofill.htm

myultiple items

Thank you alan. It worked i do have what I need for that. I have 1 more thing now.

I have all my items when I pick my description popping in that never change. However, I have the main field category. I want to be able to click on the Category and then only the description under that category is available to pick. Which will then put in all the information under that descritpion. How can I do this using a query. There are multiple description for each category. I really appreciate your help!

I don't understand what you are trying to do. Please post an example of what you have what you want to do and the expected results. Pictures sometimes are easier to understand.

I have a spread sheet now that has 6 columns. Description, task code, Vbuild code, qty, unit cost, total. The descritpion, task code, v build code and unit cost will always be the same across the row. a specific descritpion goes with this task code, vbuild code and cost. I am trying to put it in access. I want to just be able to click on say the descritpion and then automatically have the related task code, vbuild code, cost be inserted into their fields. I want to somehow have them all linked together so the user only has to click from one list and data from all four columns will be inserted into their respective fields as the data will always be the same without having to choose from 4 lists or type in every time.

I have to have a form where user is entering their time sheets. Now in excel they just enter their qty of hours and it calculates total. they do not have to type in description , codes etc as I have them already there in a spreadsheet (3 pages long). i need the data entered to be able to be printed in a report. (only rows where they did work)

fields would be description, task code, vbuild code, cost. i would have all possible options already entered into a table. this data will never change. i need to make these fields be able to be picked from a list with one click and the whole row (data from all columns) are inserted into there fields. then user just enters their qty/hours.

I just cannot figure out a way to either keep all the related columns together and be inserted on data entry in the right fields. Is there even a way to do this? or maybe there is a way I do not know of. thanks

Why not just add a field in your form and table for the hours and one for the individual. Summing the hours will be done in a query based upon what ever criteria you determine. Individual and/or project. Am I missing something here. Have you laid out a schema for your db. ie. tables and relationships?

You may want to read here before venturing further.

http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...es-208217.html

and

http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...el-349267.html

Hi alan. I finally figured out what i needed for the above and have it working. i have a new issue. I have 2 fields on my subform. cost and qty. i have a field that times cost by qty and gives me a total. i have multilple records in the subform and i need to get a final total of the calculated field (cost *qty). I have tried this on the from footer of the sub form, on footer of main form....i can't seem to get it to work. i get error code you are trying to use an operand withou and operator? how can i get the sum of all resords in my calculated field?
    thanks

Suggest you try using the DSum function. Here is a link on how to use it.

http://www.techonthenet.com/access/f...omain/dsum.php

Alan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.