JamesR is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question Access - renumber - auto sorting by Primary Key

Hi,

I am having some basic problems with access. Essentially I am numbering "shelving" from 1-600+ which are being imported into access from an architectural program.

I solved one problem of renumbering them if i delete some halfway through, but im coming up to another problem now.

My architectural program auto increments and adds the primary key in ascending order as the shelving units are placed in the drawing. The problem is the order they go in the drawing will not be the numerical order of them by their "mark".

So, when i export the drawing to access the DB is auto sorting my shelving by the Primary Key, so when i delete some and renumber in the DB it is all over the place as it renumbers them (via a new "autonumber" field) by ascending primary key order.

is there a way i can stop this?

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

IMHO, you shouldn't think of the PK as having a meaningful order,

but as a DB tool to make storage and relationships operate efficiently.
    You don't specify in your post, but it sounds as if you are working directly on your tables instead of using queries with which you could specify the sort order.
    One sentence in your posts suggests that you are altering a PK. If so, don't do it.

JamesR is offline Novice
    hi,

Im not editing the PK as it would be impossible to do so as it has so many relationships within my drawing model. the problem at the moment is when i open this part of the database (shelving) it is sorting it via the PK value.

essentially, each shelving unit has 2 values, the PK and a Mark number.

when i add new shelving units/or they are placed within the drawing the PK number will not be in relation to the Mark number.

so, when renumbering using autonumber field within access it is renumbering via the ascending PK.

this is what im trying to work out, i will get some screenshots to explain it better as im not exactly an access boff, but i also want it so the guys in the office can use it with ease.

Windows XP Access 2007

Why aren't you sorting according to 'Mark'?

Are you looking at a table or a query? The table can be in any order, but when opened will usually be by PK and you will not have control of the sort order. With a query, you should be sorting on 'Mark'.
    You shouldn't be concerned with the sort order of the table.

JamesR is offline Novice
    i have uploaded a video of what i am doing. sadly my access knowledge is very limited so im probably doing this a really awkward way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSOAoJu97dc

Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm sorry. I couldn't follow your video well enough to get any insight as to where you are getting off track.

Anyone...Help???

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.