walt44 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Control Source Data Question

High everyone!
    The problem I am running into is I have an Access Database that has been storing a number of items and has been doing great. But I just recently created

and added a new Report with a text Box. In this field or text box, I am trying too get a value to be displayed that when data is entered it will spit

out the entered data and display it with and * in the front and back. For example... I run the report, it asks me to input the data, I type in 1234, I

then want this data to be returned to me in a separate text box in that same report with with the value *1234*. I want it to do this every time I run

this report, but I am not sure what the correct string is to place into the Data Control Source Field under that Text Boxes Property Sheet.

This is what I have entered in it so far with no luck = "*" & [Tag] & "*"

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Not much infohere so let me guess and you tell me whats wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by walt44 View Post
    High everyone!
    The problem I am running into is I have an Access Database that has been storing a number of items and has been doing great. But I just recently created

and added a new Report with a text Box. In this field or text box, I am trying too get a value to be displayed that when data is entered it will spit

out the entered data and display it with and * in the front and back. For example... I run the report, it asks me to input the data, I type in 1234, I

then want this data to be returned to me in a separate text box in that same report with with the value *1234*. I want it to do this every time I run

this report, but I am not sure what the correct string is to place into the Data Control Source Field under that Text Boxes Property Sheet.

This is what I have entered in it so far with no luck = "*" & [Tag] & "*"

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    You have an unbound text box from which you want to transfer an entry into another box/field which is part of the report. If this is the case, you need to add afterupdate event in the unbound text box which transfers the entry to the report. The "*" & [Tag] & "*" just doesn't give enough information about the controls to allow even an educated guess as to what you need. If you can remove confidential info, compact, and zip the database, I'll take a look if you are using Access 2007 or earlier.

walt44 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Sure thing

Sure thing I can remove any confidential data and send you the DB. It is a pretty complex database but I believe I can slim it down enough so it won't be as cumber son when you get into it.

walt44 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Figured it out

I was able to figure it out, the problem I was running into was pretty simple I had incorrectly labeled the TextBoxes. The Text box that was receiving the typed in data for example is called Text17. On the "unbound Text box" where I wanted the value to be displayed was called Text2. So in the Control Source for Text2 I used this command to bring the value from Text17 box to the Text2 box and change its data layout.

="*" & [Text17] & "*"

After I implemented this, and ran the report it kicked back the value I was looking for.

Data Entered on running report = 1234
    Valued Returned in Text box 2 = *1234*

Thanks for all the help and work put into this, its much appreciated.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.