djclntn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Field Sizes Isues

I have created this one tbl with maybe 10-fld in it about 5-different times thus far......honestly! I even start in a fresh/new databate each time. When I "Best Fit" all of my flds in the tbl they stay "fitted" when I open/closethe db. Then, I created a qry based on this tble adding one more fild (expression) & when I "Best Fit" fields in the qry, when I close/reopen the query all of the fields are larger than I set them. I don't get it; I've done this in many other db & qrys & have no troubles. The first 2-times I did this I thought, ok, maybe the tbl is corrupt, but i create this same tbl (w/o including any data) several times from scratch, yet the damn qry fld sizes won't stay the same when I close/reopen the query. Are there any tricks to my delimna? I'm going completely Nutts!).

Hey, I'm really sorry & I don't like bashing other people; someone here sent me a link on naming fld when creating tbls & their adviice was to put an initial before each fld name correrlated with the tbl name. Well I thought that was wise & I change a few of my dbs with this concept. Here's the problem I later discovered, if you have 3-tbls without any common flds then how do I relate my tbls to one another. Either it was suggested on this webebsite or I thought of creating qrys for each tbl & renaming some of the fld names so this way I can relate my qrys/tbls. Lkast night watching TV & thinking about Access I thought to myself aall of the changes I made & what I'd discribed just now is BS! Does anyone uses the this system or did I just take the wrong path? I don't want to blame or get mad at whom ever sent me that link beecause maybe there are many benefits with using that fld naming system, I just didn't see the beneifit, rather moreb work.

I'm sorry for being long-winded & ranting here; out of 4-major dbs I was able to revert back to the 2-original dbs, but I'm having major problems with converting back to this one dbs.

I don't know if this will turn some people away from me; my objective is NOT to get ANY sympathy! REALLY!!! As I imagine ALL of you must work & have REAL jobs; I don't work, my dbs are more like a hobby for me & keeps me mentally active. Being physically diisabled I don't get out at ALL & I spend anywhere from 8 to 10-hrs a day at my computer doing varies projects. I can go on & on, but I know people here just don't have the time. Can anyone answer my ?

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Is the issue with the field size in the QBE (design view) or in the results (datasheet view).

In the QBE, it reverts, but in datasheet view, I cannot replicate your issue.

It's in datasheet view

I have a real problem! This is occuring in ALL of my databases & I'm running into other problems too. I downloaded MS Office Pro Plus from the Internet when it first came out & I have no idea how ofv iffi could reload Office if that's my solution...I don't know? Damit the hell, just when I was really started to learn more & more with Access the program had to start acting up & go south on me.

Any advice?

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Your db may have become corrupted. Suggest you try a compact and repair. Not sure where it is in AC2010, but look around. See if that helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.