I am using Access 2007. I need to run queries on an access database that I get once a month (call this the data database). The data database is 2003. I have a separate 2003 compatible (mdb) database where I put my queries to run on the data database - call this the query database.

If I run the queries directly on my work computer, everything is fine. When I transfer the data database and query database to my laptop (I telecommute 2 days a week), and try to relink the tables, Access freezes. It shows the "Refreshing Linked Tables" in the status bar at the bottom and never shows any progress. I've waited as long as 10 minutes. At work, when I do the relink - it takes only seconds.

The paths to the linked tables show up in the Linked Table manager using their server names:

\\server\pathetc

I used to be able to do this with no problem. It has only quit working for the last two months worth of data databases.

I've tried setting up a new query database and I can successfully link to the data database. I can export queries from my query database to the new query database and run them successfully, but I have a lot of queries and exporting them one by one is not practical, especially if I have to do this every month.

I have run compact and repair on both the query and data databases, which did not help.

Any ideas?