slaterino is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Trying to find the best way to open a form - whether with a new record or not...

Hi,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice on this, as I'm in a spot of confusion over how to use my form when it opens.

Basically, at the moment I have an OnOpen event on my form, which causes the form to go to a New Record. This is good as it means that when the form opens up it is blank.

However, it produces one problem. I have 2 drop-down boxes and a button on this page. These combo boxes are used to enter 2 pieces of information. Once that is done, the button is pressed and if there is also a record using these two variables it goes to that record. However, if there is not it creates a new record.

Because of the way my form is set-up as soon as any information is entered into either of these two fields, a new record is created. If it turns out there is already a record with these variables it will go to that record but it means a blank record will already have been entered.

The other option is to run the add new record function later once the button has been pressed, but this would mean that the information entered in the 2 combo boxes will be wiped when the new record is created. It also means when the user first opens the form there will instantly be a record on show, which could be confusing.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this issue? Is there a fix I could use or some way I could work around this?

Thanks!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You could use a DCount() or DLookup() in the BeforeUpdate event of the ComboBoxes to check for duplicates before alowing the update.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.