oleBucky is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Transition from Access to MySQL or the like

As a "proof of concept", I created an Access DB to replicate the use of playing cards for a table-top baseball game. After much assistance from this forum, I've taken the proof as far as necessary. I am now interested in taking the db to the next level by "webifying".

After some preliminary discussions, friends and acquaintances have pointed me to MySQL and the open source phpMyAdmin as vehicles to help me accomplish this. However, I am having a marginally difficult time wrapping my head around the entire process. Among many things, such basis concepts as how to create what would be analogous to an Access form are not clear to me.

Can the forum point me to source which might provide a unifying view of the process of creating an online db and setting the pages access that db?

In advance, thanks for helping me kick-start my idea.
    Harry

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Harry,

In my view you have 2 options here, if you want to transition to something that's even remotely close to what you've learned how to do with Access:

1) Use a sharepoint server to allow your access database to be viewed online, more or less the way it is now.

2) Go with MYSQL and accept the fact that the "form interface" portion of Access will have to be relearned in the form of HTML and Javascript coding, which is what drives the client-side scripting for most webpage renders. #1 is seriously a lower learning curve. #2 not only requires learning HTML and JS, but requires a much more in-depth understanding of a multi-process involved with server-side databases. That is completely different than managing an Access database. Literally its night and day. And if anyone else were to downplay that, I would disagree without even considering the argument.

It's much safer to assume that something is more difficult than it really is. Good luck with it!

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    MySQL only stores the data, referred as backend in Access. To view/manipulate the data, like forms and reports in Access, you need to use a programming language. You can use almost any modern language to manage MySQL data, the most popular one is PHP.

phpMyAdmin is a MySQL data manager written in PHP, its web-based user interface makes it much easier to use than MySQL native manager, especially for beginners.

To get started, install Apache, PHP and MySQL on your computer, then write some simple PHP scripts, there are many examples online. phpMyAdmin is not necessary.

Practical PHP Programming is a great PHP book with a free online version.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.