mark_87 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Most likely dumb question about emailing a password protected database

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'm a complete beginner to access so sorry if my question is ignortant! Nevertheless I have for the most part managed to struggled through to near completion of my database.

The only issue I'm encountering now is in relation to user names and passwords. I successfully created 4 different logons for my client but I've realised there is going to be an issue when emailing it to him. The Shortcut created to logon with is obviously only set up for my computer, so when I send it to someone else it's not going to work. Now I know personally how to go about sorting the shortcut, but my client is pretty computer illiterate and there is no chance they will be able to follow the steps to change it.

Is there any way to either make the shortcut update automatically for whichever computer it is on or alternatively have it all within the database file itself so no shortcut etc is needed?

Thank you for your help (and bare in mind I'm a complete beginner)

Toyman is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_87 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'm a complete beginner to access so sorry if my question is ignortant! Nevertheless I have for the most part managed to struggled through to near completion of my database.

The only issue I'm encountering now is in relation to user names and passwords. I successfully created 4 different logons for my client but I've realised there is going to be an issue when emailing it to him. The Shortcut created to logon with is obviously only set up for my computer, so when I send it to someone else it's not going to work. Now I know personally how to go about sorting the shortcut, but my client is pretty computer illiterate and there is no chance they will be able to follow the steps to change it.

Is there any way to either make the shortcut update automatically for whichever computer it is on or alternatively have it all within the database file itself so no shortcut etc is needed?

Thank you for your help (and bare in mind I'm a complete beginner)
    I am not sure what you mean by a shortcut to the log on. Are you using user level security in Access 2003 (.mdb)? Please explain

Sorry.

I created an Access 2007 database but converted this to a 2003 database so to use the "Users and Permissions" option. I went through the Wizard and created four different logons with four different levels of access. It then created a .mdw file and a .mdb file. I open the .mdb file and then I'm presented with the log on screen for my database. This works fine on my computer. However if I email the database, the .mdw file and the .mdb file to someone else and they triy to open the .mdb file it obviously doesn't work because it's set up for my computer.

Is there a way to succesfully send to someone else?

Hopefully this post is of more help, as I said I'm a bit of a beginner.

Sorry.

I created an Access 2007 database but converted this to a 2003 database so to use the "Users and Permissions" option. I went through the Wizard and created four different logons with four different levels of access. It then created a .mdw file and a .mdb file. I open the .mdb file and then I'm presented with the log on screen for my database. This works fine on my computer. However if I email the database, the .mdw file and the .mdb file to someone else and they triy to open the .mdb file it obviously doesn't work because it's set up for my computer.

Is there a way to succesfully send to someone else?

Hopefully this post is of more help, as I said I'm a bit of a beginner.
    You can package up your access files with this free package program (Inno). In the packaging of your files, you can create directories in the computer and place the files and folder where they suppose to go. Therefore, once the user installs the files and folder, your shortcut should work on their computer

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Many thanks for the reply.

Maybe I'm missing something but even if I do define the folders etc, the location on my computer still goes "C:\Users\NAME\Documents" so that location won't exist on someone elses computer?

Many thanks for the reply.

Maybe I'm missing something but even if I do define the folders etc, the location on my computer still goes "C:\Users\NAME\Documents" so that location won't exist on someone elses computer?
    No, have the installer create a folder in the Program Files folder of thde computer. Since you have total control of where the files and folder is installed with the installer, you can create your shortcut icon to reflect the installed directory

Ok, thanks!

Another quick query, what is the default directory that Microsoft Access installs to? I'm just double checking it's the same as my computer!

Ok, thanks!

Another quick query, what is the default directory that Microsoft Access installs to? I'm just double checking it's the same as my computer!
    The path should be the same unless someone changes it during install

Yeah just in the "shortcut" mdb file it has the Microsoft Access directory as part of it. So for my computer it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12. Unless the computer it's going to be installed in has exactly the same location, it won't work. Am I correct?

Yeah just in the "shortcut" mdb file it has the Microsoft Access directory as part of it. So for my computer it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12. Unless the computer it's going to be installed in has exactly the same location, it won't work. Am I correct?
    I haven't use user level security in some time now. However, in your shortcut icon, you can have the db access a specific .mdw (security file) you want to open the db. So, in your install file, put the .mdw in a specific directory and create your icon so that the db uses the specific .mdw. I don't have the exact syntex for the shortcut, but you can probably google it to get it

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.