taimysho0 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000

Display QUERY results into SUB FORM

Hello, i have a form with a textbox where the user enters the channel id. a query runs and a table pops open with rows that only have those channel ids as well as columns that are relevent to the user.

how do i make it so that instead of a table opening with the query results, a sub form can display this data on the same form the user enters the channel id? i need it to be editable so i HAVE to use a subform and not a listbox. a pic is included to show what the form looks like.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    From what I can see of that form's structure, would not need subform. Put the search box (which I hope is not bound) in the form Header section. Set form to Continuous View and arrange the data controls in Detail section to look like datasheet. Put the control labels in the Header section. Form RecordSource would be the query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    thanks for the help! what do i put in the button click event?

Windows XP Access 2000
    heres what my form looks like now:

If you want to use a subform, you dont have to bound the form. Find attached the dummy database which might help you resolve your issue.

June7 is online now VIP
    Depends on how you want to perform the filtering. If the query has the textbox as criteria parameter, just Me.Requery should work. Since there is only the one input, could use the AfterUpdate event of textbox, one less click user has to be bothered with.

Also, suggest that input could be a combobox. How many channel IDs are there?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterSexay View Post
    If you want to use a subform, you dont have to bound the form. Find attached the dummy database which might help you resolve your issue.

sorry that didnt work, im using access 97?

Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Depends on how you want to perform the filtering. If the query has the textbox as criteria parameter, just Me.Requery should work. Since there is only the one input, could use the AfterUpdate event of textbox, one less click user has to be bothered with.

Also, suggest that input could be a combobox. How many channel IDs are there?

oh ok, that worked! now when i write into the textbox and want to add to the table, would i need to include a button to run an append query or how would that work? thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Just click into a field of the new row and start entering. This initiates record. Record is committed when form closes, move to another record, or run code to save.

What is that unbound textbox in the Detail section? You need to resize the Detail section so won't be 5 inches between records.

Windows XP Access 2000
    i see. thanks for your help! i have another question on how to copy the data on my subform and paste into an excel spreadsheet with headers included. but ill just make another thread since its a separate topic.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.