nokeefe is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Problem with Query exports to Excel

I have an application at a client site which is split into two mdb files, a front end (forms, queries, etc.) and a backend (tables, data only).
    I have a query involving multiple tables, which creates an Excel Spreadsheet. Sometime after installing it at client site, it no longer works because the entire contents of the query itself are wiped out -- totally empty. I am not kidding. When I open up the query in design mode, it is empty -- no tables, no columns, no select ... blank, empty.

Has this happened to anyone ? if so, what can i do to correct this weird problem ?

thanks for your help in advance.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Can't you delete the empty query & import the original query into the Client Database from your Master DB?
    Or copy the text of the SQL [in SQL View] from your master into the SQL View of the client query?

dreday is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Somebody else probably screwed with it in one way or another and is not admitting it

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is this an ongoing issue or just a one-time thing?

Either way, if nobody has sabotaged it, then it could be corruption occuring. You might try doing a DECOMPILE on a copy of the frontend and then set it in there again and see how it goes. Otherwise, you might consider setting up your query/queries to be generated by code and then compile to an MDE/ACCDE file so then nobody can mess with them. Or use a table just for the query SQL strings and then pull as you need it. Using a hidden table that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeen View Post
    Can't you delete the empty query & import the original query into the Client Database from your Master DB?
    Or copy the text of the SQL [in SQL View] from your master into the SQL View of the client query?
    thanks. I have done this suggestion before, but it keeps occurring. I would like to know why and how to prevent it. It has happened on my development machine, so I do not think anyone at the client site is sabotaging the query object.

Quote Originally Posted by dreday View Post
    Somebody else probably screwed with it in one way or another and is not admitting it
    thanks. this has happened on my development machine, so I do not think anyone at the client site is sabotaging the query object.

Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    Is this an ongoing issue or just a one-time thing?

Either way, if nobody has sabotaged it, then it could be corruption occuring. You might try doing a DECOMPILE on a copy of the frontend and then set it in there again and see how it goes. Otherwise, you might consider setting up your query/queries to be generated by code and then compile to an MDE/ACCDE file so then nobody can mess with them. Or use a table just for the query SQL strings and then pull as you need it. Using a hidden table that might work.
    thanks. ongoing. I have also hidden the objects from the user, so i do not believe its sabotage. I believe the dynamic creation of the SQL by the methods you recommend should help. thanks again.

Jeston is offline Novice
    I am experiencing the same issue.
    I have a form button invoking a macro that executes a series of queries.
    Upon successful completion of the sequence, the final query (which creates the Excel spreadsheet) gets wiped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeston View Post
    I am experiencing the same issue.
    I have a form button invoking a macro that executes a series of queries.
    Upon successful completion of the sequence, the final query (which creates the Excel spreadsheet) gets wiped out.

Sorry. pretty shocking and weird. I wonder if there is a way to inform Microsoft about this bug. Did it start happening when the amount of data increased ? i dont know exactly what is the threshold of data that makes this happen. the query did not get wiped out when i was developing the application with a small amount of test data ...

Jeston is offline Novice
    The amount of data is relatively small.
    The error began happening when I added a step to a macro to export from a query to an Excel spreadsheet.
    I was able to get it to stop deleting my query when I converted the macro to a vba function.
    However, when I copied the function and query in order to create a slightly different version of the query, the issue returned. This is before modifying the query. It is simply the same query and function with different names. The old one does not delete the query, the new one does.
    Driving me Crazy!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.