ArmyLT is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Not lookup, but assignment

We are using Excel to create "Trip Tickets" for mounted missions that go outside the wire in order to quickly identify impacted personnel and equipment in case of a significant event.

These trip tickets change daily (for each mission), are hard to maintain, and hard to keep accurate due to typos, cut and paste, and copying bad information (typical Excel as a database issues...)

Bumper #1335

Driver: Smith, O+, M4 #8239, NVG #2389
    TC: Jones, AB-, M4 #8239, NVG #8290
    Gunner: Hays, B+, M16 #8989, NVG #0838

Multiplied by 8 or 10 vehicles

Initially, I'd like to assign weapons, NVGs, and other equipment to Soldiers. A simple screen with name, rank, battle roster, etc. with drop downs that provide a list of available weapons, nvgs, optics, etc.

I was plugging away ok with a Soldier table with SoldierID, name, (etc), WeaponID, NVGID, OpticID. That was then linked to a Weapon table with WeaponID, weapon type, weapon SN via a one to one relationship (One Soldier can only have one Weapon). However, when I added the NVGs to the query - the query became non-updateable. I'm continuing to do research into this - and have found a great deal - but is this design bad? Seems to be fairly well normalized.

Soldier Table
    SoldierID
    Name Weapon Table
    WeaponID <-one to one -> WeaponID from Weapon Table
    OpticID <-one to one -> OpticID from Optic Table
    NVGID <- one to one -> NVGID from NVG Table

The concept I'm shooting for is I can assign weapons and equipment to Soldiers, and then assign Soldiers to vehicles - in order to print out a trip ticket that shows who is where and what they're carrying...

Is there a better way to design this? It's not really a look-up table, or a typical many to one scenario...

Thanks!
    ArmyLT
    Last edited by ArmyLT; 11-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No answers, just questions:
    1) might you have naming ambiguity, e. g. the same field name in two different tables?
    2) Can you have a serial number and not have a weapon/optic... assigned? or no serial number, but have a weapon assigned?

ArmyLT is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    hertfordkc,

I've corrected my original post - it lost all of my carefully placed formatting.

I've got a Soldier Table - with name, roster number, blood type, etc - as well as RifleID, PistolID, OpticID, NVGID - in order to link the the secondary "equipment" tables. In the Soldier Table, RifleID links (in a one to one relationship) with the RifleID (PK) in the Rifle Table. (As shown below)

Soldier Table
    [SoldierID] [Name] [RosterNumber] [BloodType] [RifleID]
    1 Smith S1234 O+ 3
    2 Jones J3839 O- 9

Rifle Table
    [RifleID] [SerialNumb] [Type] [IsAssigned]
    1 280238 M-4 N
    2 208382 M-16 N
    3 203023 M-4 Y

(Again, can't seem to get the format right...)

There is a similar setup for each type of sensitive equipment that we need to track outside the wire - optics, pistols, NVGs, etc.

So to directly answer your questions:

1) Yes, I do have the same names in two different tables. Soldier Table<RifleID> and Rifle Table<RifleID>. Are you saying it's best to have something a bit different? Soldier Table<Rifle> links to Rifle Table<RifleID>? More than happy to try it!

2) No. If a rifle, pistol, etc - is assigned to a Soldier, we have to track it by Serial Number.

Again, my lost formatting probably prompted some confusion.

Thanks!

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You can have the same field name in multiple tables done this many times with Primary Key to foreign key links between tables.

I am presuming you have a Form where the data is input. I would modify your design slightly

Soldier Table
    soldierID
    Name
    Rank
    Rosterbr
    Blood Type

then I would add a table called assignments

SolderID
    WeaponID
    OpticID
    NVGID
    Date

Your Form Would look at the Assignments table and include a combo box for each of the lookup tables Soldier,Weapon,Optics,NVG. There would also be a Date combo Box at the top so you can specify a specific Date and Filter the form by that date.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.