Zholt is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Form to display results

The database i am creating is a booking system for a small train company.

I have been asked to create a form where the user can choose what date, time, position and direction they want to sit. Then all of the available seats that match the criteria needs to be shown on another form (in a drop down box) where the user can select which seat they would like.

How can i do this?

Thanks Zac

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Your question is way too broad in scope. If there is something specific you are having a problem with then ask about that. I deleted your other thread as requested.

Zholt is offline Novice
    ok basically i need the user to search for specific information using a form and then that info to be searched in a table and the results displayed in a drop down box on another form

So what do you have so far and what part is giving you problems?

Zholt is offline Novice
    so far i have normalised 2 data sets and put them into three tables and made relationships.

the next activity asks me to create an introductory form where the user can put in their desired date/time and where they want to sit, then on another form they must select a seat from the available (based on criteria from intro form)

I have uploaded what is asked of me if you can assist in any wayi would be greatful

Your request sounds very much like a typical school project. You should remember that the Forum members dedicate their time voluntarily for helping or guiding user's of this site with finding problem solutions. However, the members will not do your homework or work for you without some honest effort on your part.
    I understand that starting off in MS Access can be very confusing and difficult, especially when under pressure because of time limitations on your project. Nevertheless, it is of no benefit for you to have someone do the work for you. Sooner or later there will come a time when you have to show your abilities in person and under pressure and having passed off someone else’s work for your own will not help you at all in accomplishing that task.
    One of the most effective ways to learn is to study, analyze, get involved, evaluate, modify, test...and this Forum and its members are happy to help you along any of these steps.
    Please excuse me if I have misunderstood your request, and if so, maybe a little more detail about your overall goal can help.

Zholt is offline Novice
    This is a practice examination from 2007 however it is the same type of system as the exams i shall be taking soon. If i can complete this then hopefully my examination will be alot easier. I am, not asking for any of you to complete this for me as it will be pointless in my case. Just suggestion on how to.

I understand your POV but please take into concideration mine, I am trying to learn all of this without help from any teacher as he messed up his leg last year and substitutes are not as expertised especially when it comes to databases.

gadjet is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I think you need to look at the example databases like northwind etc. to get an idea of how you need to layout your forms and tables and what their relationships are. After a quick look, you need tables for customers, train seats (with attributes) and maybe tickets. Forms for the customers to enter their details and possibly an admin form. You will need to familiarise yourself with append queries, to add data to tables. Start using google to find examples of how to do different things. Break down the project into small parts and draw diagrams of the data you need in tables and then identify the relationships required. Don't worry about missing something it's usually possible to add it later. I hope this helps. Gadjet

Zholt is offline Novice
    So far I have 3 tables Customers, Seats, and Trains. Trains to seats have 1 to many, customer to seats are the same. Now im thinking about just having two tables customers and trains. the part that i am stuck on is to create a form where what the user puts in is searched for and displayed in a drop down box on another form. how would i go about this?

gadjet is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Zholt View Post
    So far I have 3 tables Customers, Seats, and Trains. Trains to seats have 1 to many, customer to seats are the same. Now im thinking about just having two tables customers and trains. the part that i am stuck on is to create a form where what the user puts in is searched for and displayed in a drop down box on another form. how would i go about this?
    It is possible to pass data between forms, if you use a common table for the first and second form then you pass the record ID between forms so the second form will show the data from the first.

The drop downs will need to be based on a query that uses a control on the form as a criteria in the query, this will limit the options in the drop down, i.e. if they selected forward facing in the first form and you passed it on to the second form (via ID) then the records in the dropdown are filtered by the control that contains forward facing and will only list seats with forward facing set as an attribute.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.