Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    xwnoob is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2000

How do i go about implementing a subform with a subform?

I want to do a form that has a main-form,sub-form and a subsub-form.

Im using 3 tables: BorrowerCase,IndividualBorrower,Contact Party

BorrowerCase has a one to many relationship with individualborrower and individualborrower has one to many relationship with contactparty. In the main form, i want to add as many borrowers as i want and in the borrowers subform i want to add as many contact parties as i want.

Each of these tables has a auto-number ID. So how do i do it? I Read that microsoft access 2000 cant have subform with subform if you have a continous form but i really need to implement my form this way as i think its the most logical solution so any ideas??

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The borrowers subform can be Single View and you will be able to add as many borrowers as you want, just won't be able to see many at once as in Datasheet View.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Try putting a button in the detail section of your IndividualBorrower subform that opens a ContactParty form.

June7 is online now VIP
    pdebaets, that will open the form but then code will be needed to save the key value for each contact record. Subform linking automates that behavior.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The borrowers subform can be Single View and you will be able to add as many borrowers as you want, just won't be able to see many at once as in Datasheet View.
    Hi June.

What do you mean by single View? I've never heard of it before lol. What im trying to do is I want the borrower subform to refer to the main form and i want the sub-subform to refer to the borrower subform and it would help if you could explain in detail how to link the sub-subform to the subform.

Lets say for example i enter all required information into the main form.. then i go to the borrower's subform and enter 3 borrowers. Then, in the sub-subform, i want to enter contact party individually for each of the 3 borrowers by selecting their name in the subform. Is there any code that is needed ? If so, can you give a brief explanation of how i can do this .

How can i do this??
    P.s. I know you helped me in the previous thread i posted but now my problem has escalated into this so if you could help me again it would be wonderful

June7 is online now VIP
    You have not already created the mainform/subform? This is basic Access functionality and guidelines should be available in Help, but here is a tutorial http://www.fgcu.edu/support/office20.../subforms.html.

Every form has optional views: Datasheet, Continuous, SingleForm. There are more but might not be in Access 2000 version. This is a setting of the form's DefaultView property.

Form/Subform/SubSubform arrangements can be accomplished without any code. I think 7 levels are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    You have not already created the mainform/subform? This is basic Access functionality and guidelines should be available in Help, but here is a tutorial http://www.fgcu.edu/support/office20.../subforms.html.

Every form has optional views: Datasheet, Continuous, SingleForm. There are more but might not be in Access 2000 version. This is a setting of the form's DefaultView property.

Form/Subform/SubSubform arrangements can be accomplished without any code. I think 7 levels are possible.
    I have created the mainform but not the subform and the subsubform . I actually understand how to create the subform because you showed me the subform video tutorial in the previous thread but when the subsubform came in i didnt do anything since i was scared of messing things up.

So will this link teach me about subsubforms? i dont want to do my forms with tabs but to contain everything inside the main form if that makes sense.

June7 is online now VIP
    Creating a subsubform is the same as creating a subform. Subforms are just forms within a container control. So open the subform in design view and create the subsubform on it. Then save and close and open the main form. Should now see all three forms nested.

Sorry June but this time after reading through the article im still unsure as they did not mention anything creating subsubforms but it only gives me info on the different types of method to create subform.Can you use sub-from wizards to create subsubforms????

June7 is online now VIP
    Creating a subsubform is no different than creating a subform. A subform is just a form that is referenced in a subform container control. Again, open the subform in design view, create the subsubform on it. Use the same method as creating the 'subform' on 'mainform'. Doesn't matter how many subs are in the prefix, method is the same.
    Last edited by June7; 11-14-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Ok but each subform must have a foreign key that establishes the relationship right?

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, that foreign key would relate to the primary key of the form one level up.

my subform is currently in datasheet view..it looks crappy how do i turn it into a form view or something better?
    edit:i found the property to change the default view so its okay for now lol

If you are working with multiple subforms, this should resolve your issue. Please find attached the test database.

June7 is online now VIP
    That is a format property of the form. Assuming Access 2000 has a Property Sheet, on Format tab, Default View. If different in Access 2000, check your Help for guidelines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.