LornaM is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Access as backend for Web Pages

I'm in the beginning stages of developing a database using Access 2003 which is intended to be used as the backend for a Web Site. Before I go any further, I need to know how well this will work. I've used it on a small scale on an Intranet, but never on a big scale on the Internet where the database could be hit by 100s of users at a time who are querying products and placing orders. Please let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks so much

marianne is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    i would like to know first how you use it on a small scale basis. how do you connect it to the web?

LornaM is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I should clarify. I have used Access in the past to create data access pages on a local server over a company Intranet. My two sons have a great idea for an Internet business and have asked me to create the database for them and Access is what I know best. Someone else is creating the Web site and he sent me the following email:

There are some hosting solutions which provide using Access as a database server and then upgrading to SQL server later as the need arises, but it appears that this is not recommended protocol. This leads me to believe we should be using SQL server as our backbone database program and then any Access database, if used at all, would have a limited role in the final solution. Actually the recommended solution and more cost effective, at least from the beginning, would be MySQL on Unix instead of SQL Server on Windows.

Please get back to me ASP on your thoughts on this and any proofs as to whether this may not be the correct assumption.
    So that's where I am. I'm trying to gather information as to whether or not his assumptions are correct and to decide which direction we should go from here. Any thoughts or ideas anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    My recommendation would be MySQL for your application.

LornaM is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks RG. Since I don't know anything about MySQL, the next question I have is, if I continue developing the database using Access, can the tables and queries be imported into MySQL? If so, will the data validation and other field properties stay in tact after converson, as well as the table relationships?

Thanks again

I'll be honest and say I know nothing about MySQL other than what I've read on forums and I believe it is free or at least very reasonable. My point was that Access does not perform particularly well when "hit by 100s of users at a time". I do all of my data validation in my forms and none at the table level. I'll bet MySQL has a rich set of tools for conversion just the way you want it. Your web site developer seems to have knowledge of MySQL so he is the person to whom to direct these question.

CraigDolphin is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    You could also use SQL Server express (free). Access has a wizard that can create the SQL server tables based on your Access backend. It works pretty well but you may need to do some tweaking along the way.

There is a learning curve in learning any new database system beyond access though. I did a class on SQL server 2005 and it was very worth while IMO. Even though I do not use it day to day, it taught me a lot of things about database management that had never occured to me as an access developer (scheduled automatic backups, creating indices, connection security, etc all make a huge difference to you). I'm sure MySQL also does all this sort of thing too.

If you're doing a commercial db, then I would strongly recommend using SQL Server or MySQL as your backend rather than Access.

marianne is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    RG, i have researched that the speed of connecting to the web thru lan is way very low. i forgot the website but it was stated there the connection was very low using access!

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    I think MySQL is the best solution, most hosting services support MySQL, you don't have to worry about the installation/administration, ISP will take care of that. It's also quite easy to install Apache/MySQL/PHP on your desktop for testing purpose.

PHP&MySQL is the most popular choice for database-driven websites, it's easy and cost-effective, works well for small, medium or even big websites. You can find nearly any ready-to-use code snippets, such as database connection, etc. The only problem is, to me, you need to learn some PHP.

I was a long time Java/DB2/Oracle developer, but when I developed my own small websites, PHP&MySQL was my first choice, although I knew little about them. By searching online and referring to their manuals, it seems enough for me.

LornaM is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks to all of you for your help. Looks like MySQL wins hands down!

Great! Have fun with the project.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.