Nosaj08 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2002 (version 10.0)

Question Need some Help: Forms - Step-by-Step Model?

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the forum and stumbled accross it while searching for some answers to a question I had. Anyways, what I am trying to do is set up a form that will allow a step-by-step process for filling in information. I have to create a database for managing events and I would like the form for filling in the information to have certain fields available for step 1, then others for step 2, and so on. Does anyone know if this is possible? I am not really experienced in coding, although I can read it and understand it, just not write my own code so if there is any coding needed, any help that I can get is much appreciated. Thorughout my attempts, I have only been able to figure out how to link the "Next" button that I created to another form for step 2, but it opens in a new window and I would like it all to be contained within the same window if possible. TIA

Jason

CraigDolphin is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Hi Jason,

much depends on your table structure as to how this would work, but one tip I could offer you is that you may wish to investigate using a Tab Control on your form.

Essentially, you can put the textboxes etc that are bound to the fields you want to use in step 1 on the first page of the tab control. Then, you can use the On Change event of the tab control to validate those fields before allowing you to change to step 2 (which fields would be found on page 2 of the tab control), etc.

Note that you can also place subforms bound to related tables on pages of the tab control too.

Excellent idea! Thank you very much. While looking through the tab control properties, I see that I can change the style to hide the tab and buttons along the top. If I prefer this style, Is there a way to create a "Next" and "Back" button that changes between the tabs? I tried creating a Command Button but didnt see any preset commands to perform this task. Would this be a VB code situation? If so, any help on the code would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

CraigDolphin is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    It should be do-able.

Assuming there were a total of 5 steps your next button might have code that looked somehting like:

Something like
    Code:
    Private Sub CommandNext_OnClick()
    'we don't want to advance past the last page of the tab control
    'and remember that first page number starts at 0
    If Me.tabcontrolname <=3 then Me.tabcontrolname = Me.tabcontrolname + 1
    End Sub

Great, thanks for your help! I placed the code into my form and it works perfectly.

Jason

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.