Niet3sche is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Access 2010, combo box, and Auto Expand (Auto-Complete) woes.

Hello.

I'm having a baffling issue and I would hope that someone where has at least seen it before and can offer a work-around, if not a fix.

I have a combo box. I have lots of them, but let's go to one specific form.

On this form, I am adding a person to a task. My combo box has a straightforward row source:
    Code:
    SELECT Personnel.ID, Format([ID]) AS [ID-Text], Personnel.FullName, Personnel.LastName, Personnel.FirstName FROM Personnel ORDER BY Personnel.LastName, Personnel.FirstName;
    I am CASTing the ID (an auto-number PK) to text based upon the suggestion from the Internet, which is odd, but seems to work--sometimes.

UPDATE: This is fixed. I think. I'm leaving this here for others to find. User "dan some" posted about the importance of DISTINCT in your row source query.

I have no repetition, but putting DISTINCT in there--to guarantee no repetition...of auto-numbered fields--seems to have fixed this.

It surely cannot be just me having this issue here, can it?!
    Last edited by Niet3sche; 11-04-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Emphasizing the fact that this appears fixed.

boblarson is offline --------
    Quote Originally Posted by Niet3sche View Post

It surely cannot be just me having this issue here, can it?!
    I wouldn't know because I can't see your row source because you used the VBA code tag with a single line of code which obscures it. Just use the regular code tag or none.

Niet3sche is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    I wouldn't know because I can't see your row source because you used the VBA code tag with a single line of code which obscures it. Just use the regular code tag or none.
    The SQL tag hoses SQL?

Yikes.

SELECT Personnel.ID, Format([ID]) AS [ID-Text], Personnel.FullName, Personnel.LastName, Personnel.FirstName FROM Personnel ORDER BY Personnel.LastName, Personnel.FirstName;

The fix for this was
    SELECT DISTINCT ...

Even though I don't have duplicates, which is why I'm confused at this being a valid fix. And which is why I'm putting it here, with the "solved" tag, so that others may benefit from an immediate answer in a more timely manner than I.

I'll probably back out the CAST (Format) call as well ... as I said, that came from the Internet and offered some hope at the time.

boblarson is offline --------
    Not sure why you would need a DISTINCT in there. It isn't logical if your ID field is an autonumber and set to PK so it is Indexed with no duplicates. Interesting, but I wonder if you ran a DECOMPILE and then ran Compact and Repair if it would actually fix it so you didn't need it. If you choose to try that, make sure to make a copy before decompiling in case something gets worse when doing it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.