section.echo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Making Access Application Authenticate Remotely

I am fairly new to access and I have a pretty straight forward question.. I have an Access application that ties to a Database file, it is on a subscription basis, so basically I want to hold a database online with all my clients that are current up on there subscription, I want the application (whenever it opens) to check in that remote database to see if there serial number is current (possibly just check to see if a value is a 1 or a 0 (true of false?) if it is 0 then the program will notify them that there subscription is about to expire, but if it's a 1 (true) then the program will continue working just fine. I currently have it set up so when I make the application embedded is a serial number for each client, and there is an expiration date for 1 year, and then after 1 year I will have to log in to their computer and grab their database file, modify it on mine and put in a new expiration date. It would just be so much more simple if I could make there computer go online to a specified website, with a username and password, and check a table to see if their serial number has a flag of a 1 or 0. I would GREATLY appreciate any help I could get, because I am almost sure it can be done, just do not know myself how. Currently the way it is set up is after the 1 year is up it will show them warning's saying it is about to expire in 15 days, and once that's up it stops working, so they are having to call me and let me know and I have to login to there computer (remote desktop) and get the file and modify the expiration date. Thanks!!

CraigDolphin is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Access doesn't support linked tables over the http protocol?

I've asked about linking an Access frontend to an online backend before (on other forums and with some local experts) but never gotten a response telling me it was possible over http. I know you can link to sql server etc, but I think they need to be on a local network. However, if someone else knows how to make it happen I'll be very interested to hear the details too!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.