Charles7565 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Request for design review / critique

Hello all...I realize everyone's time is valuable and limited, but if you have an interest in assisting an Access newcomer, I could use that help.

The attached file represents my first foray into table & relationship design. I have a feeling something is not quite right, but I'm at a loss to determine what that may be...perhaps someone with a greater knowledge base can see what I can't. I've made my best attempt to get it into 3NF.

Synopsis: This models military training flights. Each flight is a record of instructor, student, date, duration, requirements for the flight, and a set of scores reflecting student performance. Each instructor and student will appear no more than once per flight record, but will appear in multiple records. There are a finite number of flight types (for example, let's say there are three types that may be flown: instrument work, weapon delivery, navigation). Each type has a distinct set of requirements (for example, weapon delivery requires grades in rocket accuracy, tactical flight, and communications).

Question: With respect to the table relationships, do they accurately reflect the model? Given an individual flight record, could I expect to be able to retrieve all the relevant data from other tables?

I am probably leaving out information that someone will need to be able to discuss this, but if you'll let me know what else I can add, I would be happy to do so. Thank you in advance if you are willing to look at it and provide a critique.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    looks ok to me. I myself would merge Flights & PUIP table since it is 1:1 and there are many fields - but that doesn't matter much.

Flights is the core transaction table. The 3 tables on the left are source lists that feed Flights. then you have the two Grade tables that are the child or 'many' records to each Flight record. works for me.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    meant to type " there are NOT many fields "

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Agree that whether the 1:1 tables are joined or not is not critical but mergeg would eliminate requirement to continually join the tables in queries.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.