EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Simulating a Multivalue Field

I have an Access 2007 (.accdb) database that uses several of the new multivalue fields. I now need to migrate to a SQL Server database and found that SQL Server doesn't support this. So, I need to go back to the old way and create a sub-table to hold the multiple values selected by the user. Does anyone have a solution that simulates the 2007 multivalue approach? What I mean is that when a user pulls down a combo box for a multivalue data element, he/she gets the items listed with a check box beside each item. The ones he/she had selected earlier are already checked, and he/she can uncheck those and/or check some that were not selected earlier. The users love this look and feel and I don't want to have to give that up.

Also, most of these uses are in sub forms that show in datasheet view so I don't have a lot of geography to work with. I don't think a listbox would work because of this.

Does anyone have any experience with opening a tiny form as I described when the operator enters the field in question?

Any examples would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Eddie

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Lightbulb My Access box isn't available at the moment, so this is just

How about altering your table so that for each record there is the field that you want to display AND a OLE object field, which might contain a tiny red checkmark, or a blank background if "unchecked". You would have to change the "state" with the onClick event, which would change the field contents.
    Please post if this works so I don't spin my wheels trying to create an example when I get my PC back.

Please use the thread tools to mark your question as solved when you are satisfied.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Don't spin your wheels on my account. I will try this when I get a chance, however, I'm on another technique (which isn't quite as elegant, but I'm more familiar with) at the moment.

Thanks for your help. Eddie

Windows XP Access 2007
    The solution I took was to create sub, sub tables to house the various values. It works just a well and is truly normalized.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.