label027 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Filtering dupe Data in a single field

I have a database that calculates fees for the use of certain products. There are fees for each rep's use of each product and also a firm fee, which is a fee that the firm pays if they have one or more reps using a certain product.

Right now I have 2 queries filtering out those firms that have to pay firm fees, lets say Product A has a firm fee of $50 and Product B has a firm fee of $100.

The problem I am having is there are firms that have reps that just use product A and reps that use product B, so they are getting charged $50 and $100. I want to only charge the firm $100 since it includes every product that is cheaper than that. I hope this makes sense. Example:

Firm 1 product A
    Firm 2 product A
    Firm 3 product B
    Firm 4 product A
    Firm 4 product B

Is there any way to filter so each firm is listed only once in the first field and is charged with the higher price in the second field?

Sorry, I would attach the database but it has sensitive information and it is a HUGE database. Thank you for the help!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe:
    SELECT Firm, Max(Fee) as MaxFee FROM table GROUP BY Firm;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    That works perfect, except I want to add a description field to the query as well. This is what I have that works (I know the table/field names are terrible):

SELECT [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Firm ID], Max([DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Firm Fee]) AS MaxFee
    FROM [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees]
    GROUP BY [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Firm ID];

This is what I want, but doesn't work, just an addition of Product Description:

SELECT [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Firm ID], Max([DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Firm Fee]) AS MaxFee, [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Product Description]
    FROM [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees]
    GROUP BY [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Firm ID], [DELETE BEFORE USE: Firm Fees].[Product Description];

I understand why it doesn't work, because the descriptions on two of the same Firm ID's are different so it lists both of them. I just do not know a way around it.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Try:

SELECT Table1.Firm, Max(Table1.Fee) AS MaxFee FROM Table1 GROUP BY Table1.Firm;

SELECT Table1.Firm, Table1.Fee, Table1.Product
    FROM Query1 INNER JOIN Table1 ON Query1.Firm = Table1.Firm
    WHERE Table1.Fee=[MaxFee];

Nested:
    SELECT Table1.Firm, Table1.Fee, Table1.Product
    FROM (SELECT Table1.Firm, Max(Fee) AS MaxFee FROM Table1 GROUP BY Table1.Firm) As Query1
    INNER JOIN Table1 ON Query1.Firm = Table1.Firm
    WHERE Table1.Fee=[MaxFee];
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    That works perfect. Thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.