Summing totals horizontally in report

Hi everyone,

I've created a report in Access 2007 on total numbers of enquiries a school admissions office receives. Within that are lists (columns) of the grade each child would be applying for (some enquiries might relate to several children, if there are multilple siblings in the family). The report details up to 5 children (Child 1, Child 2 etc.).

I have selected the Count Values function in the report on each of the columns, so I have a grand total at the bottom of each one. But now I want to add up the totals to see how many children have been enquired about overall (not just the total number of enquiries).

I would like the result of this cacluation to appear in a box below. I have attached a Word doc containing a screen shot of what I mean.

I'm having trouble finding a way of totalling horizontally adjacent values like this, as Access seems to focus on the totalling of columns rather than rows.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks.

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfinishedStory View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've created a report in Access 2007 on total numbers of enquiries a school admissions office receives. Within that are lists (columns) of the grade each child would be applying for (some enquiries might relate to several children, if there are multilple siblings in the family). The report details up to 5 children (Child 1, Child 2 etc.).

I have selected the Count Values function in the report on each of the columns, so I have a grand total at the bottom of each one. But now I want to add up the totals to see how many children have been enquired about overall (not just the total number of enquiries).

I would like the result of this cacluation to appear in a box below. I have attached a Word doc containing a screen shot of what I mean.

I'm having trouble finding a way of totalling horizontally adjacent values like this, as Access seems to focus on the totalling of columns rather than rows.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks.
    On a report you can use the sum function, or the standard addition operator and use a text box to add them up. Just put in the same values as the fields that you are adding up - for example, if total count of students is in a text field called txt_student_count and the value is Sum(CountOfStudents), and then you have another field called txt_Something_To_Add with the value Sum(CountOfSomethingtoAdd), you could then create a third field that contains:

=Sum(CountOfStudents) + Sum(CountOfSomethingtoAdd)

Hope that helps...

Fantastic! Thank you very much. I just used =Count([Child Grade 1])+Count([Child Grade 2])+ etc. and it worked like a dream.

Very grateful for that, thanks.

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    Great! Glad I could assist - hit the scales in the right hand corner of the post and add to my rep... lol.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.