teirrah1995 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2002

Access merge to Outlook

I have a field for e-mail addresses in a table in my database. I would like to send e-mails to all of them, or, more likely, a group of them selected by a query. Outlook doesn't seem to have a mail merge function, or if it does it's hiding it well, so I'd just like to get a list of addresses from my database onto a word or text file like this:

address1@sever.com, address2@server.com, ect
    Then I can copy it into the BCC line of an e-mail.

How do I export data like this?
    Will it cause a problem to have 200-10000 names in a BCC list?
    Is there a way that will let me have messages reading "Dear <<First_Name>>"?

Irrelevant: Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this project. It's been up and running for a few months now, and works loads better because of this site.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You can use VBA to send emails. Here is simple example sending a single email:
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ro-447084.html

Loop through a recordset in VBA to compile a multiple addressees BCC string or to send individual emails to each.

I don't know if there is limit on how long addressee string can be. If you are on a network, there might be some IT restrictions on how many emails allowed in mass mail.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Super! I'd been hoping to do the whole thing in VBA, seeing as I'm not familiar with Outlook.
    How would I insert a person's names in the text?
    .Subject = "Hello [title] [surname]"
    And how would I start a new line like this? Just enter key, or that new line code (something like '_?)
    Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The underscore is a continuation character for code lines, just makes code more readable that would otherwise be very long. Does not translate into the compiled string. Use either vbCrLf or Chr(13) & Chr(10) to do that. I have not tested this in email. You get person's name same way as other variables, by reading from recordset or form controls. Check out this http://www.blueclaw-db.com/access_em...nd_outlook.htm
    Last edited by June7; 10-23-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Thanks a lot! I love how it refers back to the form to get the text, so you can change the text easily. It's perfect.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.