Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JFo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Dynamic Form, Dynamic labels/ captions?

I have a subform that has different questions (number and question) on it dependant on what value is selected from a combo box in the main form (EquipmentType).

Ideally I would like to have the questions automatically fill the appropriate caption from the question table. Is this possible?

To do this you would need to match the EquipmentTypeID selected in the combo box with the foreign EquipmentType ID in the Question table and therefore display/ unhide the correct number of questions and fill the captions with each question from the Answer table

Not sure if you can use labels like controls, however would be the best way to do it if possible as the labels will then relate to answers for the answer table

goodguy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    You can use labels as controls because they are controls, but first a few questions:
    1. Why are the questions in the Answer table? This indicates wrong design.
    2. When you say caption, do you mean label captions or the form caption itself?
    3. Why are you displaying/unhiding the required questions instead of populating only the required ones dynamically?

1. Why are the questions in the Answer table? This indicates wrong design. My mistake too long sitting at computer questions in question table, answers in answers table

2. When you say caption, do you mean label captions or the form caption itself? I mean Label captions

3. Why are you displaying/unhiding the required questions instead of populating only the required ones dynamically? Not sure if I understand I think that's what I do want to do, only need to populate questions and answers that are required for any given type of Equipment

Thanks for your input Goodguy

If you set your Main form /Sub form links correctly to filter by Equipment ID, your subform should populate correctly. The way you want to do it though will require textboxes instead of labels so that you could bind the recordsource.

The links/ relationships should be set up correctly as I have been on here for over 2 months trying to figure out best design,

How can I make the questions from the question table populate the labels on the form for each equipmentID and therefore match the corresponding textboxes for the answer

Here is a copy of my current database

Attachment 4714

Thanks

Attached file rejected by Access 2007.

Apologies here it is in 2003 format, I thought 2007/ 2010 were same format

Attachment 4716

Thanks

I could not figure out the form that you want populated. Which is it? What have you tried so far?

The form I want populated is frmChecklist, At the moment I have simply typed the questions into the label fields as I have no idea how to fill these from the table.

I can easily extract from the table to a combo box using SQL however when it comes to filling the labels with all the different questions I am at a loss.

Notably the questions will come from tblChecklist and will populate the form based on EquipType.

Also note that I have only filled the tblChecklist with some questions so far and furthermore there will be more questions for this EquipType and different questions for all Equipment as per tblEquipType

Thanks

here is a later version with a fixed relationship, I didn't know how to make frmChecklist a subform of frmEquipment, not sure if this changes things

Cheers

Attachment 4732

I have spent hours trying to rationalise your tables and relationships but still can't figure them out. And unless I can fix that part, I can't even begin to contemplate solving your stated problem.

I am not sure how to explain this to you however if you are interested the design was discussed in much length on this forum and all my threads discuss the design in varying amounts of details

https://www.accessforums.net/search.php?searchid=144439

specifically
    https://www.accessforums.net/access/...ase-16463.html
    https://www.accessforums.net/access/...ase-16943.html
    https://www.accessforums.net/forms/p...-vb-17501.html
    https://www.accessforums.net/program...elp-17857.html

Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    It is interesting to see that you are finally using Sub Forms as I suggested ages ago.

EquipTypeID should be a Text Box not a Combo.

EquipmentNumber Should be a Combo not a Text Box.

That is if I understand. You are adding a piece of Equipment to an Inspection you are not adding an Equipment Type.

Thanks Rain, long time no see.

Yes took me a while to come around as the reason it wasn't working for me is because I didnt' and still don't understand access's inbuilt functionality (like how to link subforms), hence I tried to write everything in code

I welcome your input as always and think I see what you are saying however maybe both could be combo's. The majority of the time it will be a new piece of equipment and they will either start by adding equipment type (or searching by equipment type if item exists). Furthermore there is a set amount of equipment types as per tblEquipType however there is unlimited equipment number

Please keep checking back into my progress and offering your advice

Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    I welcome your input as always and think I see what you are saying however maybe both could be combo's. The majority of the time it will be a new piece of equipment and they will either start by adding equipment type (or searching by equipment type if item exists). Furthermore there is a set amount of equipment types as per tblEquipType however there is unlimited equipment number

If your Relationships have not changed then each time you add a Piece of Equipment you also select the Equipment Type. So by selecting (In the Form) via the Combo Box an existing Piece of Equipment you are automatically selecting the Equipment Type. Just make sure your Record Source refelects that.

If the Exquipment is not on the list then don't forget to add the equipment Type when add the new piece of equipment.

I can see you are getting some good advice from others.

My work load has increased lately so I can't help much but will continue to monitor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.