Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    What you need is a Form to Add,Delete or Modify the Client Table. Nothing else.

One step at a time. You are thinking of things that will be done much later.

Why is it taking so long to create a Form with Two Fields.

JFo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    OK what you have asked for is just confusing I think that is the issue. The first version I posted was simply made up of a combo box for clients and 1 for contacts (2 fields), u have asked for 1 combo for contacts on the client form a few times as stated in my last correspondence. However I am now confused again with what you want.

I have now removed all other fields from this form except for the two in the Client's table so now my form just has ClientName and ClientID

Sorry it is very difficult to understand what you are asking

Thanks

I said...

Simply create a Form/Forms for the purpose of recording all the information about your Clients. (You will also need a Form for Contacts, Cities and States.)

This includes, all the Site and Contact information.

This maybe confusing you.

I meant you need a Form exclusively for Clients.

Another for Contacts and Yet Another for Sites.

One more form is also required. One for Cities.

The States can be directly entered into the States Table as this information will never change.

Once you have that we can set up the Junction Forms. But do the forms as mentioned first.

When you have the Clients sorted we move onto Equipment and then Inspections and finally Questions and Answers.

Simply create a Form/Forms for the purpose of recording all the information about your Clients. (You will also need a Form for Contacts, Cities and States.)

This includes, all the Site and Contact information.

This is where the confusion was I read this as I must make a form for clients that includes the site and contact information (and also must make forms for the other 3)

As there is nothing besides clientID and name that is all that should be in a form to add a new client

Attachment 4866

This is exactly same as I have always had in my clients form just the clientID and ClientName

Is this still the same or am I missing something u are trying to tell me?

Thanks

Try adding a New Client to your form and Edit an existing Client.

Yes you cannot as I am just providing the fields

I can add a new client to the list however cannot edit the current 1

This is using the not in list event

I am unsure how to do this with code at this stage as you know I use command buttons

Is this what you are wanting me to do? code it all in Not In list instead of using command buttons?

Attachment 4867

Try the attached.

OK that edits whatever client the form is opened to... not sure exactly how this help's it remains the same client you can edit each time unless you change the entire word and then it goes to another client you can edit

You cannot create a new client with the form in it's current design nor can you select a client to edit

I have previously got around this in my database by having a button for edit and button for add new

You cannot create a new client with the form in it's current design nor can you select a client to edit

Yes I can.

Use the Navigation buttons at the bottom of the form.

This is Very Basic Stuff. I don't know if it is me or you who does not understand.

OK I thought we were trying to do it in a different way, I do not use or want to use navigation buttons, I have disabled them from my forms as I will not allow a user to use them I want the user only to be able to go to new record or edit a field, or open another form, etc. only from command buttons. I thought you were implying this was possible and it never entered my mind you wanted me to use the very things I am trying to eradicate from my entire design

my database will not have any datasheet view and will not have any active in-built access controls, ie navigation buttons, control bars, close button, etc

In my design the user must search for or user must select the client (or other) from a combo list and then either edit the client or add new using command buttons, this is my fundamental design requirements

I am unaware of what you are trying to show me, I do realise I can have a command button that does the same thing ie. goes to new/ next record

Here I did the same thing except I made it a combo so I could search for the client easily and made a new record button to go to a new record so now if I simply change the existing client selected it edits it and if i hit the new button it creates a new one (the close button is a bit ambiguous for now I would prefer a save button and a cancel button)

Attachment 4869

I prefer it this way rather than letting users use navigation buttons

Quite humorous and quite frustrating at the same time I feel like we have not understood each other for most of the day

Thanks

Here I did the same thing except I made it a combo so I could search for the client easily and made a new record button to go to a new record so now if I simply change the existing client selected it edits it and if i hit the new button it creates a new one

Have you tested your design, because I can't edit an Existing Client.

It must be me having one of those days.

all good you were right, was a bit hasty, just added a save record command button and all OK

Good to hear.

Just before you move on is there anything you want to record about the Client.

Like Contract Number, Manager's Name, Postal Address etc.

If so now is a good time to add these to the Client Table and also the form.

If I remember correctly I think you wanted to have a different Contact for the Client as opposed to the Client Contact for each site.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.