Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    I don't know how you got it to open that form. It is simply a Form to let you know that Errors are turned off.

I have attached a NoBull form in the DB. When it open simply close it and continue working.

I will look close when next time you attach.

I have attached a DB with the Relationships changed. It may not be what you want but it is a suggestion.

PS. Do not use composite Primary keys. They are nothing but trouble.

JFo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    OK my mistake it is only if I click on Run macro which is not required

Why do you think I need to change my design from the original design?

The only thing that has changed is that a piece of equipment can belong to multiple clients and therefore requires a junction table.

Equipment ideally would be linked to site as well so maybe addding siteID to the equipment table would be an idea

I really do not understand why you are getting rid of all the tables results, checklist, checklistanswer, clientsitejunction, commonasnwers, inspections, etc

I have stopped using compound keys that was just an experiment at the start as I wanted to be able to do anything.

Now sure why you now want everything changed?

Nevertheless Thanks for your input

OK I think I have had enough for the day, attached is my latest version and I have implemented error catching and indenting throughout entire db now

Any tips in meantime and help with my current issues still required

Thanks, I'll be back soon

Attachment 4824

I really do not understand why you are getting rid of all the tables results, checklist, checklistanswer, clientsitejunction, commonasnwers, inspections, etc

I did not get rid of them. I just hid them for the purpose of clarity.

The only thing that has changed is that a piece of equipment can belong to multiple clients and therefore requires a junction table.

I did not realise that you could have different Clients owning the same piece of equipment. Best you forget my layout as this changes things.

Have a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainlover View Post

I did not realise that you could have different Clients owning the same piece of equipment. Best you forget my layout as this changes things.

Have a good night.
    Equipment may change from client to client over time, they can not own the piece of equipment at the same time, thinking just a junction form when adding or editing equipment

I will put frmClientEquipmentJunction as a sub form of frmAddEditEquipment

Thanks

Thought you might be interested in the following.

Programming is:
    Phase 1
    Design
    Coding
    Testing, Testing, Testing
    Find what does not work
    Phase 2
    More Design
    More Coding
    More Testing, Testing, Testing
    Find what does not work now
    repeat Phase 2 until you do not find any more issues.
    Phase 3
    Give the app to the end users
    End users find what does not work now
    Go back to Phase 2
    Phase 4
    Wait for the end users to have issues or the requirement have changed
    or
    Developer/programmer learns how to do things better
    Go back to Phase 2
    Phase 5
    Developer/programmer learns how to do things better and the original design will no longer meet the needs of the users.
    Time scrap the old app and create a new one and convert the data.
    Back to Phase 1.

I have found that a database app never really is finished until it is no longer used at all.

Yes I am feeling it, it is quite frustrating at times however I must soldier on

Hopefully a lot of my design is correct, however there will obviously be many things that will need to change

Here is my first attempt at actually creating a junction table and using junction forms/ subforms by myself

Have a look at the new frmAddEditEquipment if you get the chance and let me know if I have done the junction correct to now assign equipment to clients so this may be updateable

I think I am just going back to Phase 2 a bit often (or maybe I have not left phase 1 )

Attachment 4830

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainlover View Post
    Realistically I still don't have a way to edit Equipment inspections, inspections or equipment either

You should have a Totally separate form just for the purpose of adding, editing or deleting Equipment.

PS Do not have Cascade Deletes selected.
    The above is the best advise I can give you. I think you are making things too hard for yourself. This project should be able to be written in a few days. Not Weeks.

This new form you asked me to look at has errors when I try to open it.

Sorry for the terse comments. Just trying to help.

You should have a Totally separate form just for the purpose of adding, editing or deleting Equipment. Isn't that precisely what frmAddEditEquipment is for or do you mean have 1 for adding, 1 for editing and 1 for deleting?

I think you are making things too hard for yourself. Seems that way

This project should be able to be written in a few days. Not Weeks. This is what I though initially when I decided to do it and now been going for a few months and seems further than ever

This new form you asked me to look at has errors when I try to open it. may be your version of access however the form requires data from frmMainMenu and frmInspections to be populated before it can be opened

Sorry for the terse comments. Just trying to help. No apologies necessary I need all the help I can get

THanks

You should have a Totally separate form just for the purpose of adding, editing or deleting Equipment. Isn't that precisely what frmAddEditEquipment is for or do you mean have 1 for adding, 1 for editing and 1 for deleting?

How can this form do as you say when it doesn't have all the fields from the Table.

One Form can be opened in different Modes. Edit, Add Read. So Only one Form requred.

If you populate the Equipment Table correctly, you only need to choose it from the List. Combo Box. If for some reason it is not on the list then you can open the Equipment Table in Add Mode, Add the new piece of equipment, Close that form and continue on with what you were doing. I suggested this a few Posts ago.

Think about this hypothetical.

The Boss gets a New Large Client with 600 pieces of equipment, located at 4 Different sites. You start your first Group of inspections in 6 weeks time for 30 pieces of equipment at Site "A". You then inspect another group of equipment at Site "B" in seven weeks time, and so on.

This new form you asked me to look at has errors when I try to open it. may be your version of access however the form requires data from frmMainMenu and frmInspections to be populated before it can be opened

I did not know this.

How can this form do as you say when it doesn't have all the fields from the Table. ??? frmAddeditEquipment has every field in tblEquipment and it updates the table with EquipmentID, EquipTypeID, ClientID, EquipmentNo and Description and also updates tblClientEquipmentJunction with ClientId, EquipmentID and ClientEquipmentID I just tested it and it works when adding new piece of equipment and puts the correct values in for all these fields

One Form can be opened in different Modes. Edit, Add Read. So Only one Form required. I am trying to set this up exactly same way I have set up frmContact or frmSites for example but struggle with the subforms with edit mode

If you populate the Equipment Table correctly, you only need to choose it from the List. Combo Box. If for some reason it is not on the list then you can open the Equipment Table in Add Mode, Add the new piece of equipment, Close that form and continue on with what you were doing. This is what I have been trying to do and everything works fine for adding new equipment except it does not requery (this is a question I have been asking for a while) the combo box in frmEquipment after the new equipment is added

I think we are on the same page I just don't know how to do it. I have been trying the whole time to make a system where the user adds or selects a client and then adds or selects a site (and adds or selects contacts where relevant)

When client and site is selected the user should be able to add a new inspection or edit an existing one chosen from values in a combo or series of combos

Once an inspection is started or selected the user must select equipment to be selected if it already exists select the equipment and complete the inspection, otherwise the user must add the new equipment and then select it from the original combo box and complete the inspection (editing the equipment may also be required in this section)

This must repeat for every item of equipment for the inspection

Now this is the original design I have been trying to implement and the order has not changed over the course of the entire project it has to flow in this order I think

Is this the same thing you have been trying to say as it looks to me as if it is, however I can't get it to work? Hopefully you are not getting frustrated

I am trying to achieve this design and I thought this is what I have been doing, I am making it harder of course, but it is essential I do this properly

Thanks

I did not know this. actually probably only needs value from frmMainMenu as this is how I get the clientID however it can only be opened from frmEquipment so frmInspections will be filled in as well

Thanks

I have changed my frmMainMenu and removed editing inspections option from frmInspections. I don't know why I didn't do it the same way I did frmContact, frmSites, etc. Now the user must select whether to perform a new inspection or edit one from main form and it opens the form in different mode depending on command button selection the same as other forms

If you are interested I will walk you through this starting with a MENU.

A Menu is used to Open Forms and Reports.

So Create a new Form with some Dummy Buttons on it. A Dozen or so.

NO CODE except for one button to Exit the Database.

Create the Following Forms. Sities, Cities, States, Clients and Contacts.

Now use Buttons/Commands to open up a these Forms from the Menu.

Sites (Sites will have a Dropdown box for Cities)
    Cities (Cities will have a Dropdown box for States)
    Clients (Clients will have a Dropdown box for Contacts)

You could add some code for "Not On List" for each Dropdown.

PS. Try using a softer Format. ie Smaller Fonts and a more user friendly Back Colour. (Like Grey)

In all forms the Record Source should be a Query. If you can't write a Query then post the DB when you have gone as far as you can.

There is NO code except "Not on List" and "Close Form". Then on the Menu the code would be to Open the forms and to close the Database.

Let me know when you have done this.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.