Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    JFo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Hi Rain this is not the latest version however this is a working version for the question at hand.

Attachment 4762

So far I have not been able to integrate this with my current forms successfully and although I may be on the verge of working this out, this is probably still quicker

If you open frmInsepctions2 you will see that the second subform(3rd deep) only populates the values after the form is clicked on or a control in the form is tabbed to/ clicked on. It would be great if this happened automatically as per question

Thanks

Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    OK at the moment than I am thinking something like common answers will filter the common answers for that question and will be in common answers table

The not in list code (on the combo) will be set-up to store the answer that the user enters if not available in the common answers list however this is considered a once off value and not going to be used in available answers for any future questions (besides the next inspection default for that piece of equipment). This value still gets inserted into tblCommonAnswers table and is linked in tblChecklistAnswer for that question.

You could do this and give it the Number ZERO. Then filter the Combo Box to exclude all answers that are designated ZERO. You may have to add a new field to the answers Table and call it e.g. SortOrder. Number your answers for each Equipment Type 1,2,3,4 etc then for this new answer default to 0. Hope you understand.

I have noticed in the copy of the DB that I have that you have Two Tables for Answers. Not sure of the reason why.

I would like you to reconsider using the last answer instead of using the answers from a List. If the user gives an incorrect answer then that answer may be considered by the next user as correct. This could cause an error to be repeated simply because the user thought that the answer given was correct. I would think that the user should be restricted to the list and if not available then the new answer could be added. You may wish to add some form of Security to the adding to the list.

What are your thoughts.

I have noticed in the copy of the DB that I have that you have Two Tables for Answers. Not sure of the reason why.
    tblChecklistAnswer is the Junction table (between tblChecklist and tblCommonAnswers) as one checklist item has many possible answers and possible answers may be used for many checklist items

frmInspection does not work the way you want.

If you select any Client you can select any piece of equipment.

It should be restricted to the Equipment that is owned by the Client. Should it not.

I would like you to reconsider using the last answer instead of using the answers from a List. If the user gives an incorrect answer then that answer may be considered by the next user as correct. This could cause an error to be repeated simply because the user thought that the answer given was correct. I would think that the user should be restricted to the list and if not available then the new answer could be added. You may wish to add some form of Security to the adding to the list.

The reason that the last answer is required is because this will rapidly reduce the data entry time for the users.

Think about an inspection with 150 items and 148 of them are the same as the last inspection

Without the default value the user would have to select all these values 1 by 1

Also No users can add common answers to the list, they can add to table but not to list (combo box options)

frmInspection does not work the way you want.

If you select any Client you can select any piece of equipment.

It should be restricted to the Equipment that is owned by the Client. Should it not.

Yes it does not work how I want yet however it is a start. Yes equipment should be limited to client, furthermore the difficulty I am having integrating it into my system is adding new equipment. As you probably know by now the majority of the time the equipment is not on the list as it is a new piece of equipment

Thanks

I would like you to reconsider using the last answer instead of using the answers from a List.
    The reason that the last answer is required is because this will rapidly reduce the data entry time for the users.
    ------------------------------------
    If you chose the answers from the list it would be the same speed.

Please reread my Post.

Food time now. Will try to get back later this evening.

If you chose the answers from the list it would be the same speed.

I don't understand how this could be the same speed as they would have to choose the answer instead of the answer automatically being populated, Additionally the previous value will also act as a trigger to remind the user what needed following up

Please reread my Post.

I re-read your post however maybe my brain may be already on weekend time as I couldn't see anything I may have missed

You could do this and give it the Number ZERO. Then filter the Combo Box to exclude all answers that are designated ZERO. You may have to add a new field to the answers Table and call it e.g. SortOrder. Number your answers for each Equipment Type 1,2,3,4 etc then for this new answer default to 0. Hope you understand.

I think I understand this, however I thought this could also be achieved by referring to the individual AnswerIDs for each combo boxes SQL select statement

Hope you both had a good weekend jzwp11 and Rain.

I have now managed to integrate jzwp11's design into my current system and it looks like it is now working well. One thing I am trying to do is to add a new piece of equipment. It works ok for any piece of equipment that has already been linked to a client although what is best way to add add a new piece of equipment?

I have tried making another form that opens to add new equipment and then re-query's the combo box and this just takes me back to the same point as it requires the junction form, unfortunately the new record button does not work either with this design as it requires the value from the cmbEquipDetails which is not created until after the new record is created.

Essentially I want the new record button to work and then poulate the combo box with this new piece of equipment somehow so I can add a new piece of equipment to an inspection

Is this the best way to do it?

After I can get the Inspections adding both new and previously created equipment then I can start personalizing the frmChecklist, unfortunately I am still stuck on this from last week as per current db.

1 positive is that all tables seem to be updating correctly it is just adding a new piece of equipment that the issue lies in at the moment

Attachment 4777

Thanks

Realistically I still don't have a way to edit Equipment inspections, inspections or equipment either

Realistically I still don't have a way to edit Equipment inspections, inspections or equipment either

You should have a Totally separate form just for the purpose of adding, editing or deleting Equipment.

PS Do not have Cascade Deletes selected.

Talk about round in circles...

Here's to the return of frmAddEditEquipment, this now adds a new piece of equipment however does not successfully requery the combo box (cmbEquipDetails) or create a new EquipInspectID but at least it adds equipment

So maybe cmd button in frmAddEditEquipment should requery everything after frmInspections somehow (requery frmEquipment or start frmEquipment from next record)

Attachment 4781

Chat soon

Thanks

Mclaren is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    with regards to having the users last answer listed in the as an answer when the answer is not a common answer.

Why not use a colour to highlight the fact that this question should be looked at in detail as the last answer supplied is not a common answer and care should be taken answering the question on the current inspection ? ie. using the numbering system to identify non common questions, 0 being non common, if the last known answer matches 0, then the field would be coloured red......

That is not a bad idea for another part-->maybe if the second part of answer for checklist item is marked non-compliant this could work well. However as far as using it for defaulting the first part of the answers it doesn't really help.

Say for example in one check-list there are 150 questions and 140 are unique, they don't all require attention the reason they are defaulted is because in this example 130 will not change from first inspection to follow-up inspection. The real reason they need to be defaulted is to save massive amounts of time in data entry.

Thanks for your feedback and any more advice would be great

OK my day has been a lot more productive and figured a few things out, which is good. A couple of things besides the obvious defaulting and validation that is causeing my trouble

- How can I keep adding new equipment to inspection, I can add equipment and I can add a check-list. I then want to move the equipInspectID to next record if user wants to enter more equipment to inspection, this I think will solve my re-query question before. I am stuck with sub-forms as I want to be able to move one subform to next record while leaving main form at same record?

- I have set-up my check-list in continuous view is this the way you would do it? Ideally I would like to have a certain number of questions per page like in my original form with tabs... Is this possible?

Most things are coming together nicely, however I am worried that still nobody can help me with either my defaulting to a previous value or validating separate answers

Thanks for everything and helping me get this far

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.