Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
    JFo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainlover View Post
    I see Question 1 etc.

I thought you were going to display the actual question.

Am I wrong.
    Start an Inspection for a Pressure Vessel

These are the mock Questions for a Boiler

Pressure Vessel is the only EquipType with questions currently

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainlover View Post
    frmAddEquipmentToInspection

Why do you have this form. Why not add the equipment Questions when you select the equipment in frmInspections
    Because it is all new to me didn't know how, still just looking for the best possible design

So you would have frmChecklist as a sub form of EquipmentSub a subform of Inspections like I had in my original design?

Thanks

Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    So you would have frmChecklist as a sub form of EquipmentSub a subform of Inspections like I had in my original design?

No. I think the Form frmInspections is correct.

You could design another Form for viewing the questions but you are not up to this yet.

On the After Update Event of Equipment (Perhaps Before Update would be better) I would Run some code that populates tblResults with the QuestionID and AnswerID.

I would also adjust the table Results by adding a Check Box to say the Default Answer has been accepted.

There are other Triggers for the Appending of Questions and Answers but that is up to you to decide.

No. I think the Form frmInspections is correct. Not sure how this could open the checklist so I just separated everything --> add equipment --> add inspection then add equipment to inspection

What I was trying to do in my original design was do it all just through navigating without ever having to go back to menu form ie select client, then site, then contact, then inspection, then equipment and keep adding equipment until user wants to stop

You could design another Form for viewing the questions but you are not up to this yet.
    On the After Update Event of Equipment I would Run some code that populates tblResults with the QuestionID and AnswerID.

I would also adjust the table Results by adding a Check Box to say the Default Answer has been accepted.
    Not sure what you mean by any of this doesn't the current design populate the tblResults table? By default answer do you mean the ones I will provide in combo from tblCommonAnswers or the default answer as in the one from the last inspection?

Thanks

No. I think the Form frmInspections is correct. Not sure how this could open the checklist so I just separated everything --> add equipment --> add inspection then add equipment to inspection

No need to open CheckList, just populate the Results Table via Code.

What I was trying to do in my original design was do it all just through navigating without ever having to go back to menu form ie select client, then site, then contact, then inspection, then equipment and keep adding equipment until user wants to stop

frmInspections is all you need. Select the equipment in the Sub Form then Populate Results table.

By default answer do you mean the ones I will provide in combo from tblCommonAnswers or the default answer as in the one from the last inspection?

If there is no Last Inspection then use the default. This varies from Question to Question, as not all Questions have new Answers. The only problem is that you need to keep the Old answer or you will change history.

You keep trying to make things more difficult that what they need to be. You only need the EquipmentID in order to populate the Results Table. No need to record Client or Site or Contact. Just record the InspectionID and EquipmentID
    Last edited by Rainlover; 10-27-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Left out EquipmentID

No need to open CheckList, just populate the Results Table via Code So the checklist is the sub? Otherwise how else is user going to fill out the answers to the questions?

Thanks

You keep trying to make things more difficult that what they need to be. You only need the EquipmentID in order to populate the Results Table. No need to record Client or Site or Contact. Just record the InspectionID and EquipmentID This is true actually only need EquipInspectID, just couldn't get this from my current design

Thanks

This is the beauty of a Relational Database.

OK back again, should have some time up my sleeve today, still not sure about the answers to all my questions and where we left off last week is also still confusing me

frmInspections is all you need. Select the equipment in the Sub Form then Populate Results table.

On the After Update Event of Equipment (Perhaps Before Update would be better) I would Run some code that populates tblResults with the QuestionID and AnswerID.

How can I populate the Results table before the questions have been answered?

I only assume you mean use frmInspections and then select equipment from sub which populates a secondary subform AKA frmChecklist that the user fills out the answers in?

Is this correct?

Let's start off by saying that we do not populate Forms, Rather we populate Tables and the results are shown on Forms and Reports.

You have to Store the Question asked, or should I say the Foregin Key, and you have to store the answer. Why not store them in the Results table. Don't store them in another table and then later store them in the results Table. Just do it once.

What you will need in the Results Table (Which I alluded to earlier, but you did not at that stage understand) is a Check Box. Either a Tick or Yes/No Field.

This way when the user fills out his report on the inspection, Display the Information from the Results Table in a Form and have the user Check the Answers with his mouse to acknowledge that the answer is correct. Quick and simple.

Do you understand. If not post back quickly as I am going out soon. I will be out for an Hour or Two.

Let's start off by saying that we do not populate Forms, Rather we populate Tables and the results are shown on Forms and Reports. My mistake

have the user Check the Answers with his mouse to acknowledge that the answer is correct.
    Why do I want the person to check off every answer? they should only need to take action if an answer must be changed

You are correct everything is stored in Results table

Why do I want the person to check off every answer? they should only need to take action if an answer must be changed

I can understand that. Considering there could be 150 Questions/Answers.

That being the Case I would have a marker against the Inspection Number to confirm the the Inspection has been completed and all questions answered properly.

You could use a Yes/No box with a Label of "Inspection Completed". Or if you prefer have the user enter the completion date. No Date then the Inspection is not complete. You could even have another Text Box for the User Name just to identify who approved the Inspection.

It is up to you to choose the method you feel is best suited for your needs.

Thanks Rain I will work on a few designs and post for feedback later, I am also working on integrating the search functionality and working my way through a number of issues, so I have a fair bit I need to do

Chat later

Thanks

I presume you are RACING through things today.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.