tylerg11 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Command Button Wizard and Matching Fields

I wan to link two forms. When I open one record within the first form, I can click a button that opens the related record in the second form based on a field common to both. However, when I get to the Matching Fields part of the wizard, the left side (field list for the first form) is not listing anything. If I try to create the button on the second form, when I get to the Matching Fields part I have no problems. Do relationships between the forms have anything to do with this??? Why are the fields not showing when I go from the first form to the second, but then they all show when I go from the second to the first?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Wizards, ugh! Don't like and don't use.

You are building a form/subform arrangement?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    just trying to link two seperate forms...although I have the same problem if I use the 2nd form as a subform too. It's weird...I can link from Form B to Form A, but not from Form A to Form B!

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, table relationships will affect how forms are linked.

Can't 'link' two standalone forms. Must be form/subform.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Linking to the other as a subform doesn't work either. Do the table relationships of their data sources indicate which form is the "main form" and which would be the subform?

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, as I said, relationships affect form linking. Won't matter if you actually have the relationships built. The many side of a relationship will be the subform. For example, an invoice is one record but an invoice can have many products related. You will have a table for invoice records, a table of available products, and a table that relates invoice with products. The last table would be in subform to the Invoice form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.