Xiaoding is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2003

Access Shrinks my Document

I have a document, made in Word, that I paste into the report design view in Access, so that I can drag the appropriate fields into it.

However, Access seems to be shrinking my word document when I paste. When printed, from Access, it is smaller.

If I double click on the document, in design view, I get to the "print Layout" view, which is set to 79%, if this is a clue. If I set that to 100%, then the report seems to get bigger, but margins, ets., are off, no way to fix it.

The sheet setup is for letter size.

Help?

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What is the point of pasting a word document into an Access report. They have not been built to work that way.

David

Windows 2K Access 2003
    It depends on what you mean by "report". If you mean a standard summary report, which is what the wizard gives you, then just use that. But a custom report, is a document, and that is best done in Word, which, last time I looked, is the program used for making documents.

As for "not working that way", what do you mean? You assign the fields, the data reporting part works just fine. There is just some setting somewhere that I need to know about.

And, what if you have an old word document, (perhaps hundreds of pages!) that someone wants to use for a report? Are you going to type it all over again, just to get it into Access? That can't be right.

If I have to, I can re-format the text in my report for now. But I want to know what's going on with this thing.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Usually what happens if people want to produce Word Documents from within Access or use an existing Word document/template and merge the two together, they tend to either create formfields or bookmarks in the word document and get access to populate them and save the report. This way you can send the word document to a person or persons who can open it up in word (they do not need Access to do this) and view the report with the merged data in it. It is much the say way as performing a mailmerge in Word.

Alot depends on where the weight is and what formatting you require and the accessability of the end user.

David

Windows 2K Access 2003
    thnx, I'll look into that!

Windows 2K Access 2003

Grrrr....

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaoding View Post
    thnx, I'll look into that!
    For some reason, Word cannot see the database here, so that does not work.

This might be it, however: when I start a new report in design view, I get a 5 inch crappy workspace by default. If I start pasting fields and labels into it, and THEN enlarge the work area, Access has a fit and nothing will fix it! You have to enlarge the work area first, THEN start the design. Perhaps I did not enlarge first when I pasted the document into Access from Word, don't have time right now to check, but that might be it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.