tylerg11 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Fixed character length of field

I have a column in my table, and its size is set to 10 characters. In a form, i have a combobox based on that column, which contains the values "Corrective", "Preventive", and "Supplier". both Corrective and Preventive are 10 charcters, and fill up the field to its max, however, Supplier is only 8 characters. When I look back in the table data, there are two spaces after Supplier. Basically, I can use the arrow keys to "see" the two blank character spaces. Why is that? Are these extra blank spaces taking up space they shouldn't?

jo15765 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2000
    I am going to ask a dumb question, but is the culprit when this happens to me from time to time. In the table, where you are pulling "Corrective", "Preventive" and "Supplier" from, do you have extra spaces after the word "Supplier"?

tylerg11 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It does. I have to backspace the spaces out manually. I would think that just because the field size is 10 characters, that doesn't mean it should "pad the field" with spaces. I guess it does...

jo15765 is offline Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2000
    The combo box, pulls these 3 options from a table correct? Let's say that it pulls these three options from a table named test, so if you open up tbl_test and look at Supplier are there two blank spaces at the end of it?

Look at the source table, where the combo box pulls the data...Theoretically just because the field length is 10 characters, access will not force any entry to be that length. If your source table has the extra spaces then they are going to appear. If the source table has these spaces, I would remove the word, then retype it in and see if that will remove them from the end.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.