emmaais75 is offline Novice
    Windows 98/ME Access 2000

HELP!!! Access Newbie and don't know where to go from here

Hi, I have been given a project to create a database for our Wednesday morning training sessions. I have managed to create one from extracting a lot of information from another database that our Leeds office use. However, now I am completely stuck. I am wanting the database to work as follows:- A Duty Officer can log in and click a go to checklists button and then be shown all tasks that need to be done for the Duty Officer Role, all kit that needs to be checked for their role and all questions asked for their role, so that they can input the data required. i.e. checkboxes for the tasks and kitcheck and input the answer to the questions. I created a mainform with subforms which have these tasks on that I wanted, however nothing gets populated. I would have liked it that when they use the login page, and move on to the next part, their name and role etc. gets automatically populated.

I have attached a copy of the database and am hoping that someone can have a look at it and tell me where I am going wrong or if there is an easier way of the doing the whole thing. As I have said I have all of the information in the database so I am hoping that it isn't a huge error that I have made.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete newbie at databases.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Is there a specific Login that I can use as a test login to see what happens?
    Is a password required?

amaconline is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2000
    Could you explain the process please. I might be able to give you a solution..

Help!!!!

Hi Robeen and amaconline,
    On the login page if you click the Duty officer Role dropdown arrow and highlight ABC and then the name drop down arrow as Alan Cadas then click go to checklists this will take you to the database. As you will see when you do this, the form that comes up doesn't pull the information that I need through. It should show a list of the tasks that are required for the Duty Officer (ABC), a list of questions and a duty kit checklist (this is what all of our Duty Officers require in their bag if they are called out to a potential flooding event).

We wanted the database for the Duty Officers to use. There are 5 different Duty Officer roles which are done on a Rota basis. Every Wednesday another person takes over the duty for a week so these checks need to be completed weekly. We listed all the tasks that are required for each Duty Officer, all of the kit that needs to be in each Duty Officers' bag and questions that each Duty Officer should know the answer to. We wanted to be able to set the questions at 5 per week to be rotated so that the same questions aren't asked all of the time. After looking for some guidance online I have created a front and back end line which was what I was advised, but the information required is still not populating.

I really need some help/advice as I am completely baffled. I am presuming that the fault is something to do with a code that needs to be entered, but this is only guesswork.

I have attached an updated version of the database for anyone to have a look at. I have a deadline for this so am hoping it is just a quick fix.
    Many thanks,
    Emma.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Your first zip file doesn't have any forms in it.
    The second one has links to your data on your network.
    I can't run the Forms because all the data they are linked to is on your local network and not in the Database that you posted.

Hi Robena,
    I have tried it again with a back up of the original database. I saved it to my desktop. Hope this works and you can open it.
    Many thanks for trying to help.
    Emma.

Robeen is offline VIP
    There are problems with the database you posted.

1. The Main Form that you are trying to open is based on this Query:
    Code:

SELECT Reporting.DO_Role, Reporting.DO_ID, Reporting.Date, Reporting.Comments, DutyOfficers.Name FROM DutyOfficers INNER JOIN Reporting ON DutyOfficers.DO_ID=Reporting.DO_ID;
    This query is pulling data from a Table called Reporting.
    The table Reporting - has no data in it - so there will not be a match found when you click GoToChecklists on the DutyOfficerStart Form.

2. In the following code behind your Go to Checklists button - the code in red is mixed up. DO_Role - is not Combo8 on the Duty Officer Start form.
    It is Combo15.

If you put the message box in like I did - you will get a DO_Role of 2 - which is a value for DO_ID.

Code:

Private Sub Go_To_Checklists_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Go_To_Checklists_Click
        Dim stDocName As String
        Dim stLinkCriteria As String
        stDocName = "MainForm"

stLinkCriteria = "[DO_Role]=" & "'" & Me![Combo8] & "'"
        MsgBox stLinkCriteria
        'DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_Go_To_Checklists_Click:
        Exit Sub

Err_Go_To_Checklists_Click:
        MsgBox Err.Description
        Resume Exit_Go_To_Checklists_Click

End Sub
    Can you tell me what you NEED to see when you click Go to Checklists?
    Where is the Data that you need to see when your main Form opens?
    Is the data in a Table?

3. Your Sub Form 'KitCheck subform' is based on a Table called KitCheck.
    The table Kitcheck has no data in it.

Have you ever been able to run your Main Form and have it actually show you the data you need to see?

I'm not sure how you got to where you are but something looks like it got mixed up along the line.

It might be possible to simplify what you're trying to do if you let me know how you want to proceed.

Question

Hi Robeena,
    I NEED to see the following when I click go to checklists:-

In the Duty Kit Checklist, all of the items need to show up that need to be checked by that particular Duty Officer Role. The information for this is in the table DutyKit.

In the Tasks Checklist tab, all of the tasks need to show up for that particular Duty Officer Role. The information for this is in the Tasks table.

In the Questions tab, I need the questions for that particular Duty Officer Role to show up. The information for this is in the Questions table.

In the tables there is a list of all of the Duty Officers names and Roles, I wanted the database to start with their logging in using their DO Role and then name and then taking them straight to the checklists. The checklists would automatically populate all of the tasks, kit check and questions for that particular Duty Officer, as well as populating the main form with the Officers name etc. The only field that I wanted to be blank was the comments box, so that the Duty Officers' could populate this if they needed to.

I think from your email, I must have got the relationships mixed up somewhere along the line ahhhhhhh.

It might be easier for me to just start the whole thing from scratch, as I copied a lot of information over from another database that our Leeds office uses.

Many thanks for your help and patience
    Emma

Robeen is offline VIP
    I think that each of the tasks you wish to accomplish is simple in itself.
    Using existing stuff from someone else's database is really helpful if you are really conversant with all the techniques that are being used - and if you don't have to change anything much.

If you think you know your way around the database you inherited then it will save you time.

If you would like to use what you already have - we should work one task at a time.

For instance, when I follow your instructions and click Go to Checklists - there is nothing to show in the Checklists & Questions Form - because the Tables it is based on don't have data.

So - a good start would be to maybe see if you can get your Main Form going so that when you run it - it pulls up the data you need it to.

THEN - when you open the Main Form from your DutyOfficersStart form - you will actually see data.

Let me know if you have questions.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.