Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Compact and Repair Database "Bombs"

I recently had both Off2003 and Off2007 installed, but used A2003 with most mdb's and mde's. Not needing any of the functionality of Off2007, I un-installed all of Off2007.

Other than needing to revert back to Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library in the module "References", no further overt actions were taken.

Thinking the mdb I was trying to "Compact and Repair" could be corrupted, I created a new mdb (db1.mdb) and imported all the elements from the suspect mdb, but got the same result with the new mdb.

I un-installed Off2003, rebooted and re-installed Off2003, but I still db1.mdb still fails when I attempt to "Compact and Repair".

"Microsoft Office Access has stopped working" all the information I'm given. (See screenshot) Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Environment updated: Win 7 64Bit

My system is now Win 7 64Bit. I've updated my profile.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    1. Run a Decompile on a copy of the database and see if that helps.

2. If not, go to the VBA Window and go to DEBUG > COMPILE and it may take you to an error. Fix that line of code and then do it again and if an error comes up, go fix that one. Keep doing that until you get no errors. Then compact and repair.

Bob,
    I attempted to run "Compact and Repair database" on a production level mdb that hasn't been "touched" in any way for over a year and it too encountered the same problem, so I'm confident that I don't have a code error. UNLESS there's some sort of problem with References. As I posted, I did have to revert the Outlook Obj Lib to 11.0.

I will follow your suggestion with the mdb I know to be free of code problems.......at least as far as the programming itself is concerned.

Bill
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by GraeagleBill View Post
    Bob,
    I attempted to run "Compact and Repair database" on a production level mdb that hasn't been "touched" in any way for over a year and it too encountered the same problem, so I'm confident that I don't have a code error.
    Just running it on one that hasn't been touched in any way and it has the same error would tend to make me think it could be a code problem actually (and not just with references). If you have compiled to an MDE or ACCDE file, and it was successful, then it wouldn't have any code errors because it won't compile to that if there is. So, give it a shot and see what happens.

No errors anywhere, just the "Access stopped working" when I attempt to "Compact and Repair".

I create disc images every day, so I could back up to Saturday which would restore my system to the level prior to the un-installing of Off2007. That will likely clear things up, but not get me to where I want to be.

Bill

Have you tried the DECOMPILE I suggested?

Hummmm..........perhaps here's a hint: All of the mdb source files have at one time or another been opened in A2007. They are maintained in the 2002-2003 format, but still they've at least been opened in the 2007 environment. I assume that would account for the Outlook Reference advancing to 12.0.

Now, before the un-install of Off2007, I did in fact create mde files FROM A2003 on more than one occasion. I don't know if that tells us anything?

Bill

AH! No, I've never had the occasion to de-compile and couldn't find the option to do so.
    Bill

AH! No, I've never had the occasion to de-compile and couldn't find the option to do so.
    Bill
    This tells how:
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/decompile.htm

I've had that help sometimes when things seem to go wonky.

Now we're getting somewhere. I get a compiler error because "Sendmessage" cannot be found. That should be supported out of the Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library, as the offending module has run compiled for several years in a pure A2003 environment. I don't recall ever having to take any overt action to obtain the definition for the "Sendmessage" function.
    Bill

By the way. I don't know why shift-double-click doesn't open the mdb without running the code. Something change in Win 7 Pro 64Bit?

I commented out the reference to "SendMessage", but the "Compact and Repair" still bombs.
    Bill

By the way. I don't know why shift-double-click doesn't open the mdb without running the code. Something change in Win 7 Pro 64Bit?
    I've found that sometimes it works better in Win7 Pro 64bit to just right click and select OPEN instead (while holding the shift key down).

I've heard, but never experienced this myself, that sometimes it takes 2 or 3 DECOMPILE's before it all works correctly. Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.