Davetartblog is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Simple Joins issue

Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, but I've searched both google and this forum for the same scenario, but cannot find it.

My current project is HR related and I'm using a form that is based on a single query (most likely the root of my problem) that encompasses all of the data that I require. I'm using tab control object and inserting a subform on each tab that populates based on the value I select (in this case an employee) in a combo box on the main form above the tab control.

Some fields, which are not contained in subforms in this instance, are populating with numbers (the actual data stored) instead of the correlating value (in this case a department name) on my form. The underlying query displays the department name correctly, so I'm not sure if/how I screwed up the join. Any ideas of what I can check to resolve this lack of resolve? (sorry for the terrible pun....)

Windows XP Access 2007
    I've decided to go the easy route of switching the aforementioned fields to simple lookup fields and thus storing the actual values rather than an ID field. I don't think storing a few excess bytes will be my undoing for this project.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    "Some fields, which are not contained in subforms in this instance..."

If they aren't in subforms were are they - on main form? Does the form RecordSource query show both the key and the correlated value? Bind textbox to the 'correlated value' field. Set properties Locked Yes and TabStop No.

Post the form RecordSource SQL statement for analysis.

Your mod will probably work. You will be saving the Department Name instead? It can still be considered a unique ID to link to a table of info about departments if you want, but if you don't have any info other than the name, then linking is irrelevant.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    You hit the nail on the head. While I did have the correct join in place, I mistakenly had missed two important fields in my query (in my defense, this is monday part III in my world). Total oversight....thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Clear case of forest/trees.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.