slimjen is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2007

importing data from an excel file

All,
    I am using access 2003 and I need help on importing data. I have already setup a table I to import data and I am using it in a subform on my main form. The first table is the invoice table which I have as the main form for data entry. The users create a record inputting the invoice number and corresponding info. The users then switch to a subform to input data corresponding to the invoice table. I have a combobox on the subform so the users can select the invoice number. It should auto populate the corresponding fields from the main form. Next it should auto populate the remaining fields in relation to the remaining fields. But, the information in the subform is imported from an excel file that I have to setup so the users can push an import button and populate this existing table. The main table contains the invoice # and the imported table has invoice # and the tracking number. I have setup a 1: many relationship between these two tables. The invoice # can have many tracking number records. The imported file contains records with the invoice # and tracking number then corresponding data. I at a lost in setting this up. I think my problem is that the users create the record with invoice# before data is imported to the corresponding table. After the users select the import # from the subform they still would have to select the corresponding tracking #. Can someone please help me with this design and thought process.

Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Your post explains the design - - but doesn't clearly state what problem you have.....

slimjen is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I need help with setting up the transfer file to be imported to the database daily and not quiet sure how to get the fields on the subform to populate with the cooresponding invoice records created early by the user. Sorry this is so confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    an import is an import. so that is a stand alone task to make work correctly. assuming you have an Access text book easily found at Amazon or any large book store you should be able to progress that. that's the first step.

having it fire "daily" is a separate step - and that you will have to determine an appropriate trigger.

As to the subform - it is a totally separate issue. A subform has a record source (which I think is your table of imported data). The subform's record source and the main form's record source must both have a field that serves to cross reference so that the db knows which subtable records go with which main table records. When you insert the subform into the main form the wizard prompts for this cross reference.

Hope it helps,

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.