Auracle is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Unhappy Form / combobox not populating

Hello

I am fairly new to Access; I've used it off and on over the years but not extensively or gotten very deep into the program. So, please bear with me (if need be)

The team I'm on at work uses a particular database for processing for a client. The database is split up into 3 chunks; 1 chunk resides on the network, the other 2 are accessed from individual computers.

We've got:
    1. MailingLabelsv1.05.accdb - this is the "front end", where we're inputting the date, selecting the product type, etc.

2. MailingLabelsv1.05_Data.accdb - this one has our definitions for the product types, etc.
    3. MailingLabelsv1.04_NetData.accdb - this one is out on the network and has the archive of all the details of what we've processed and what-not.

MailingLabelsv1.05 uses the Linked Table Manager and associates 3 of the tables with the v1.04_NetData database and the remainder are associated with the 1.05_Data database.

The issue:
    I open up my database and I open the Linked Table Manager and associate the proper tables to their proper locations. However, when I open our Form, "frmOrders", the combobox that should have our Order Types populated in it to choose from is blank. There is a tab for "Update" and a button for "Update DB," but that does nothing.

The odd thing is this database works fine on everyone else's computer but mine, it seems. We are all working off the same version of the files, and associating them the same way, and it populates on the others' machines, but not mine.

I called the Help Desk today and asked them to uninstall and reinstall MS Office (in the event it was something broken perhaps within Access), but that had no effect. One of our IT/Database gentlemen remoted in yesterday and took a peek at the database, but could see nothing obvious. There are no permissions required to access the database (that I or my colleague is aware of).

It seems like it may be something local on my machine, but what? Has anybody ever seen this kind of issue before? Any clue what's going on (or more like -not- going on? )?

Any leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Check all the three computers for the same Network Mapping (if you are using a mapped Network Drive) and link references of tables to the back-end on server.

Try refreshing the link on your machine using UNC type reference (you need to type the full path like \\ServerName\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdb) in the File Name control on the Dialog Control, when Get External Data Menu options are selected.

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    What is the rowsource of the combo box that is having the problem? Can you open that row source as a query?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by apr pillai View Post
    Check all the three computers for the same Network Mapping (if you are using a mapped Network Drive) and link references of tables to the back-end on server.

Try refreshing the link on your machine using UNC type reference (you need to type the full path like \\ServerName\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdb) in the File Name control on the Dialog Control, when Get External Data Menu options are selected.
    Hi - thanks for your reply

I checked with my coworker and apparently, the UNC type reference isn't going to do us any good in this instance.

I apologize I didn't do the best job describing how the tables are supposed to be linked together and where the problem is. As I mentioned, v1.05 is linked to tables in the 2 other chunks of the database. 3 of the tables are in v1.04_NetData, and the other 13 tables are in v1.05_Data.

The table in question which should be populating the list box is located in the v1.05_Data file. The v1.05 db and the v1.05_Data db are both on my hard drive, and they are both in the same directory.

Plus, I am using the same exact file that my coworker is using, so there should be no difference in the coding; yet somehow it will work on his machine, but not mine.

edit: changed "combo box" to "list box"
    Last edited by Auracle; 09-19-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: changed "combo box" to "list box"

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pdebaets View Post
    What is the rowsource of the combo box that is having the problem? Can you open that row source as a query?
    Not positive on this, since I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to Access, but I opened up the form in Design View and I right clicked on the list box (I guess it was a list box, not a combo box, sorry) and chose Properties. It appears that there is no RowSource (or much of anything else). I'm not sure if this is what the problem is... and like I said in my other post, I'm using the same exact version of the file as my coworker is, so why it would work on one machine and not another is...bizarre. Could my Linked Table Manager be goofed up somehow just on my machine?

I attached a .jpg screenshot of what the properties looks like for this list box, if it helps.

Thanks!

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    You must have a different version of the front-end database than the other users, or you are looking at a different list box. The lstSelect control properties box that you've displayed indicates that no items will show in the list box because the Row Source Type is a value list, and there are no values entered in the Row Source.

There is probably a different version of the front-end database where the lstSelect list box has a Row Source Type of "Table/Query", and has a select statement, or query name in the Row Source property.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pdebaets View Post
    You must have a different version of the front-end database than the other users, or you are looking at a different list box. The lstSelect control properties box that you've displayed indicates that no items will show in the list box because the Row Source Type is a value list, and there are no values entered in the Row Source.

There is probably a different version of the front-end database where the lstSelect list box has a Row Source Type of "Table/Query", and has a select statement, or query name in the Row Source property.
    Unfortunately, no, it doesn't appear there is a different version of the front-end database. At least, I checked it out as it was running on my co-worker's machine and it's set up the same way. In fact, the version that I was using is the exact same file as what is on his computer (ie, he emailed it directly to me).

His thought is that there is something wrong with my Linked Table Manager, as it seems like something is not associating correctly somewhere (though why that wouldn't be working, I don't understand, as I just had MS Office uninstalled and reinstalled...then again, computers do funny things sometimes).

My additional thought is that it might have something to do with the coding in Visual Basic - perhaps there is something that is processing differently on my machine than everybody else's for some reason. I also noticed that on that same tab on that same form there are 2 text fields that are supposed to prompt you to choose a directory (input & output) when you double click in them, but when I double click, nothing happens. There is also a command button that I am going to bet does not work either.

I can tell from the text box properties that they are pointing to the proper sections of code, yet they are not working.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Oh for heaven's sake! I solved it! Went browsing the web some more with some differently-worded/angled searches... and the answer was something incredibly simple - macros weren't enabled to run in Access, thus the VBA code which populates the form, etc. just wasn't executing. Holy hannah.

Well, I've learned something today, LOL. I guess I didn't even think of that before since I had macros enabled to run in Excel and wasn't having problems like that, so it just didn't cross my mind that oh yeah, Access and Excel are two different programs and have different settings. Durrrr.

Thank you much for your replies, though - I really appreciate it!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.