BuzzBamm101 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

The Problem: Form Keeps Freezing

Hello all,

I am somewhat new to Access but I have more knowledge then that of a beginner. I am hoping I can be helped with a data entry form I have created.

The database is structured for surveys where a users (more then 6) will only use one form to input data. The form is called “Survey Questions” and it is bounded to a table called “Survey Tallies”, in addition to the form, it contains 13 combo boxes and 2 text fields where one shows the Survey ID (primary key set as an auto number) and the other for the order number which is manually entered by the user. All the combo boxes on the form pull their data from 5 other tables.

The Problem:

The database is spilt where the back end is stored on a public server and the front end is saved on each user’s desktop. The problem occurs only after all the users are on the form for over 30 minutes at the same time. Now all users have been trained to select New (for a new record) before they start imputing data, while in use the form will freeze on all users and displays the error “Could Not Update; Currently Locked” .

From what I have read that converting the form to an unbound form will permit 100 or so users to simultaneously use the form, is this true? I do know that creating an unbound form is not an easy task especially if you(I) don’t know where to start. Truly I would prefer to fix this error without over complicating the form but I am open to anything that would fix this problem as the database is predicted to grow.

I hope I made is as clear as I can but if not please ask so I can help you understand and hopefully you can help me.

Thank you in advice…
    Jorge

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    First off - you don't have any of the combo boxes using row sources that are pulling data from the table(s) you are trying to write to, are you?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hello,

Well I am using row sources to assign what data is to be displayed on the drop-down for each combo box.

What do you mean by “write to”?

Thank you for helping me!

Jorge

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBamm101 View Post
    Hello,

Well I am using row sources to assign what data is to be displayed on the drop-down for each combo box.

Yes, but is the table that this form is bound to part of any of the row sources for those? It should not be, if it is.
    What do you mean by “write to”?
    The table, or query, that the form is bound to.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Yes, but is the table that this form is bound to part of any of the row sources for those? It should not be, if it is.

The table, or query, that the form is bound to.
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]
    No, the table that the form is bounded to has not linkage to any of the row sources for the combo boxes

and thank you again!
    Jorge

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.