neo651 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Cascading Combo box in Continuous Form

I'm trying to understand how to assemble cascading combo boxes in a continous form. I wasn't having any luck in my database so I decided to create a clean test database file and just try and get the concept to work.

I've got 3 tables, Products, Categories and Orders and the form is based on Orders. In the form you select a Category from a combo box and then when you click the Product combo box it should only display products in the selected category. Technically that works. But if you click any other combo box under Products it will always display the same products as whichever combo box you click first. Until you close the form and reopen it.

I've read a lot of forums claiming that what I want to do can't be done but then without explaining why and then vaguely hinting that there is a work around and saying nothing else.

Help me out guys.

Thank you.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Cascading combo/list boxes do not work well in Continuous or Datasheet views. The reason is that although you see the box multiple times it really is only one control on the form. That means when you set a control property it is reflected in all iterations of the control through all records. So when you filter the dependent box based on value of first box, and the combobox is multi-column, not all the alias values are available and so can't be displayed.

A 'fix' is to have code in events of the second box that will requery the RowSource. Try the GotFocus.

Google: continuous form cascading combobox
    Check out this http://www.accessmvp.com/kdsnell/SampleDBs.htm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.