ConfusedMike is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Angry space between Detail and Footer

Hi,

I am using Access 2002 and have attempted to reproduce a company report which has a series of rows with information in them and then a smaller set of rows that contain the totals for some (not all) of the columns in the rows above.

I have managed to do this by placing the rows containing the information in the Details section of the report and the rows containing the totals are in the Footer section, obviousl aligned to the relevent columns above.

This works fine except when I view the record there is a small space of approx 0.5cm between the last row in the Details section and the top row in the footer section.

In Design view, the Details section is as small as it will go so that effectively multiple records produce a table on the report with no gaps between results. The footer header bar is touching the bottom of the record text boxes in the details section and the top of record boxes in the footer touching the bottom of the Footer header bar.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to get rid of this space.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Try this:

In the Detail Section, select all the text boxes.
    Right-click -> Size -> To Shortest.
    Right-click -> Align -> Tops.
    Move the bottom of the Detail Section up as far as you can.
    Do the same with the Footer section.

Getting Reports looking just how you want is a matter of playing around with the controls on the report.

Let me know if you need more help.

If what I sent does not work, perhaps you can copy your Database here & I can see if there is something I can do.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Sorry, I cannot get to the db at the moment to post it but I can tell you that in design view the details section is only the depth of the single row of text boxes in it (they have all been sized and aligned).
    The top of the text boxes are hard up against the bottom of the details section bar and bottom of the text boxes are hard against the footer section bar. Also, the top of the footer text boxes are hard up against the bottom of the footer section bar. The only gap between the two sets of boxes is the Footer Section Bar

In fact, when in report view the space between the 'details' records and the 'footer' records is about the same size as the footer section bar, it is almost as if this bar is being hidden!

I hope this makes it clearer

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I think what you describe tells me that you have done everything to NOT have that gap showing up in your report.

I'd like to see it in case there is something I see that you have not spotted.

If you CAN - post a copy of the database here & I'll look at it.

How difficult would it be for you to re-do the report from scratch?

I've had a few incidents where I have not been able to figure a report problem out and no amount of fiddling around would fix it. When I've re-created the report - the problem has not shown up in the new report. I know that's not an 'explanation' but in my case - I could not vouch to myself that I hadn't done SOMETHING [probably unwittingly] that had caused the problem in the first place.

All the best.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Thanks for you help Robeen. I have finally managed to figure it out. I had incorrectly assumed that by removing all of the spaces between the bottom of the Details section and the top of the footer that the two should join seemlessly. This is not the case. The footer section is actually drawn from the bottom of the page upwards.

Therefore, the size of the footer has to be tall enough to just touch the base of the details section. When I increased the depth of the footer section the gap between the too rows closed and so the items butted up to the top edge of the Footer Section Bar now appear under the last row. Obviously this solution only works if there is a guarenteed fixed number of rows in the details section. Fortunately for me this is what I have.

mthompso is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Brilliant! And my thanks, from one confused Michael to a ConfusedMike (sounds like you're not very confused!). I posted your answer in another thread, but sorry, hadn't re-found this to give you the credit - I've only just joined, so please forgive me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.