Biologybook is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Question Copy paste multiple rows in a table

I am trying to copy multiple rows (150+) and then paste them into the same table below the original 150 rows.

Can this be done? I can only seem to get 1 row at a time...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You should be able to:
    1. Select your 150 rows of data,
    2. Copy the rows [Ctrl + C]
    3. Left-Click in the last row of your Table [it will have a * on the left] to select the entire new row,
    4. Click Ctrl + V to paste all your data in.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Why are you storing duplicate data in a table?

Windows XP Access 2007
    I guess I'm not sure I'm even going about this the best way. I'll give you a little background (I am new to access).

I have 6 molding machines that create parts. There are 178 parts that can be made on each of these machines. The table I have created has the machine settings for Machine #1 to create these parts. The other 5 machines have similar settings and therefore I was going to copy/paste the rows and then go in and edit the subtle changes for each machine, respectively.

Is there an easier way to do this? If I do the copy paste method, I will have (6*178) = 1068 rows total.. many of which have similar data. It seems like there may be better way...

Any thoughts?

Robeen is offline VIP
    If I understand you correct . . .

Each row of data in your Table will have:
    Machine#, Part#, Setting1, Setting 2, Setting3 . . .

And for each machine#, there will be 178 rows of data - one row for each part that can be created.

And each of those rows of data will have different settings - depending on the Part# and the Setting.

Is that correct?

Windows XP Access 2007
    correct. Some of the settings will be the same but about half of the settings will vary from machine to machine

Robeen is offline VIP
    Once you have all the values typed in, what will you use this Table for?

I've been thinking about what you need to do and I'm not sure that there is a better way to do this.

Somehow - you will have to get the correct settings for each machine and each Part# into your database.

What will the Table be used for once you have all the data in it?

Are the Setting Values limited [Eg: 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5]? Or is there a big range of values?

Windows XP Access 2007
    The table is used to create a form. These forms will be printed out and set by each machine so that when the operator gets an order for the part, they go into the binder and grab an easy to read form (containing the machine settings). The settings are : tempurature, time, speed. Not a whole lot of variance, but enough to make a difference (i.e. machine 1 may run a part at 298° for 5 minutes, while machine 4 runs at 280° for 5.5 minutes)

Robeen is offline VIP
    I don't think you'll have a problem if you paste the same 178 rows of data into your table an additional 5 times so you can have all the data you need in one table.

You could also write a Procedure or a Function to add the extra rows along with values [like Machine# and any Settings] that are the same for all machines.

If you already have all this data in a spreadsheet or a text file - it is possible that you may be able to pull the data into Access from there.

I does seem to be a LOT of typing for someone if you have to enter the value for each setting manually - but I don't think you have another option?

KATT is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Excel would be a better application for this

Quote Originally Posted by Biologybook View Post
    The table is used to create a form. These forms will be printed out and set by each machine so that when the operator gets an order for the part, they go into the binder and grab an easy to read form (containing the machine settings). The settings are : tempurature, time, speed. Not a whole lot of variance, but enough to make a difference (i.e. machine 1 may run a part at 298° for 5 minutes, while machine 4 runs at 280° for 5.5 minutes)
    I would use EXCEL for an application such as this. Much more fexible and the formatting options would help make readable.
    I used to prepare lab test reports with all sorts of scientific notation on them and when printed, they looked like they were typed freeform on stationery. Beautiful stuff. All you might need extra is a character map cheat sheet if your settings require notations such as ² ° and stuff like that regularly. Much easier to alt/type them in than find them in the symbols Also, if they are to be kept by machine workstations, I would recommend keeping to 1 or 2 pages if not too tiny and laminate! It is fairly inexpensive these days and would be greatly appreciated by the operators.
    Last edited by KATT; 04-07-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: additional info

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.