pvanryzin is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2002 (version 10.0)

Forms refering to deleted or renamed forms/queries

Totally new to Access - mostly using wizards (sorry). Looked on a few forums for an answer, but can't find it.

My form is referencing an old subform that no longer exists - I had created a new subform, cut the old one out of the main form and use the new subform. I get an error message each time I open the form (although the form works fine since it never really uses the old subform). So this is really just cleanup work and a way of keeping my volunteers from freaking out when they see a (pointless) error message.

I have tracked down the reference to the old subform by using the Build Event menu option, and reading through the visual basic code to find the subroutine that calls the defunct form. I can cut out the offending lines of code, and (theoretically) save the changes. But they magically return when I close the visual basic code editing window.

Any suggestions?

rommelgenlight is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    can you just attach the database file here so I can check it out. Your file must be ms 2000 so I can open it.

pvanryzin is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2002 (version 10.0)
    The error message I get is

The form name "Add_existingadult_to_residence subform" is misspelled or referes to a form that doesn't exist.

I was unsure how to attach the form so I cut and pasted the code to an MS Word document - which is attached.

This all brings up a problem that novices like me have and experienced programmers probably can't recall from the distant past. As I am making this form with its many subforms - learning as I go with my wizards, forums and "Access for Dummies" beside me, a few dozen queries are created. Each time I modify a query, it saves it under a new name, leaving the old query behind (annoying). This could be a good thing for revision control, but I haven't seen a way to "back out" to a previous version. What I am left with is a mess of old defunct queries (and old, defunct subforms) and a hard time figuring out which ones the current version of the "master" form and its subforms use. To add insult to injury, when I delete one that isn't even used, I get this error message. How does one keep alot of garbage from accumulating in their database? This problem was caused by me trying to do a bit of "housecleaning".

BTW, my Access is 2002.

Thanks for your help

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Been there...done that. Don't delete anything. Just rename it starting with some special chatacter like"~". It will put it at one end of the list and still be available to rename back when the error occurs.

rommelgenlight is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    attach your ms access database file not the word document.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.